Thursday, July 30, 2026

greek gods, mere mortals...

... the thing is this: love is love.
On this Arthouse Theater Day, I chose the one film that best encompasses that duality of both the stage and the silver screen.
I said two days ago that I'd already been three times for "the sad song, the old song, the love song" of "Hadestown: The Musical".
I also said then that I might got for a fourth viewing...
but I had not decided for sure.
I have Cinematique of Daytona Beach to thank.
The email this morning from this favorite place from my not-so-distant past reminded me of the importance of this date as Arthouse Theater Day.
 
How could I not venture into the crazy heat for such an important day?
How could I not venture off to "Hadestown" when the weather feels like I'm already there?
All week, the highs have been in the 90's, plus a double-digit heat index. 
Not ever on the cruise was it this hot and humid!
At least the storm forecast yesterday by the weather song never came.
That's made today slightly more tolerable, without the sauna effect.
In other words, it was perfect for sitting in a very cool cinema...
once more enjoying "a love song, an old song, a sad song"...
singing along, dancing in my seat, crying in all the right places.
Let me leave this post with words that are not mine.
This is what Orpheus said early on in his toast.
"Here's to the world we dream about...
and here's to the world we live in now."
Amen, and amen.

1 comment:

faustina said...

There was only one other with me for this screening.
She was about my age, or a little older, and had a hitch in her giddy-up, too.
This was her first time seeing the movie, and the only chance she has had to do so this week.
I talked with her about Savannah Children's Theatre's performance of the musical last year and she was almost immediately dismissive...
until I mentioned that it had been juniors and seniors in that show.
Why do folks jump to thoughts of 6-year-olds when SCT is full of shows with actors of all ages???