I speak of the romantic Greek tragedy, the musical I so loved last year when the good folks at Savannah Children's Theatre brought it for me, courtesy of the JEA providing a space after the debacle of the snow-laden roof trashing their previous location.
This time, it was courtesy of my A*List and AMC 11, bringing it to me at no extra charge, to welcome me home again.
Hallelujah!!!
This performance was recorded last year at the Lyric Theatre in London's West End theater district.
Amazingly, its five leads are the ones who originated the roles back in 2019 when the play first opened on Broadway!!!
"Hadestown" was nominated for 14 awards that year and won the Tony in eight of those fields - wow!
'Hermes', the conductor of the train and the man in the spiffy gray suit at the bottom of the photo, was performed by Andre De Shields, now 80 years old.
He won the Tony for Best Performance By An Actor In A Featured Role In A Musical in 2019.
The god to his left, 'Hades', was performed by Patrick Page, who was also nominated for that category, but lost out to his stage-mate.
What an amazing low bass voice he has... especially considering that he's now 64 years old, the age my brother Ronnie would be now.
The woman across from him in the photo, in the green dress, is Amber Gray, reprising her Tony-nominated role as 'Persephone' in this production at the Lyric.
(My guess is she's in her mid-to-late 40's, though her bio doesn't say.)
The couple at the top of the poster are 'Orpheus' and 'Eurydice', of course, the other love story in this epic musical.
They're played by Reeve Carney and Eva Noblezada, respectively, who are now 43 years old and 30 years old, respectively.
Although they didn't get nominated for any Tonys back in 2019, they are just perfect as the lovers who miss out on their happy ending.
I have cried every time I've seen "Hadestown: The Musical" this week.
I've seen it three times so far, and cried at the ending each time.
Actually, I've cried three times during the musical, with all three near the end.
The first time is when 'Orpheus' remind 'Hades' and 'Persephone' of how their love story had begun and lets them know they are still very much in love.
The second time I cry is when 'Orpheus' returns topside but 'Eurydice' is not yet there, so he turns around to look for her...
and there she is...
but she is banished back to Hell because he doubted and turned.
Just heartbreaking!
The third time is at the very end, when 'Persephone' is making a toast to all the 'flowers that bloom in snow'...
and I even raised my cup tonight and drank.
Will I see it again on Thursday?
Tomorrow, my first niece will be here during the early afternoon, then I have a Two First Posts meeting that evening.
Thursday, at 4 PM, will be the last screening.
Maybe I can be there.
I'm so glad to have had this treat in town for my return from vacation.
i thank You, God.



No comments:
Post a Comment