I meant to start my AMC A*list yesterday, but dillydallied here at the house too long.
Sure, I could have had a rare night flick, but the parking lot is still too dark for me after sundown.
Hopefully, not for much longer!
Today, I was determined to see at least one movie, with that being an epic tragedy that I've known for decades.
(Thanks, Mr. Jenkins at Armstrong State College, for having a class that was all about the Greeks!)
That's when I hit upon a theme!
Just as last week's had focused on females, this one is all about males.
Specifically, it's about young men making bad choices.
That's just as the title of this post forecast!
Take the first one on this dance card: "The Odyssey".
I watched it today, in the Big-D screening room, along with more than a hundred other folks.
Honestly, that's the format I'd suggest for it, unless you can get IMAX.
That huge screen really brings the ancient tale to life!
Matt Damon is perfect as the aged warrior who has been away from his kingdom for two decades, first because of the War with Troy, then because he and his men were lost at sea, then because he was too busy staying stoned on lotus leaves to think about Ithaca.
So, what makes him a young man?
At the start of this journey, he was only in his early 20's.
He left behind a young wife and infant son, who we only see as... a young man in his early 20's, plagued by all the suitors seeking his mom's hand for the last decade or so.
So, what was the bad decision 'Odysseus' made when he was young?
How about leaving his wife and child to go fight someone else's war?
Then, on the trip back, his choice to shoot an arrow at the Cyclops, when they had already escaped its cave and were safe?
That creature was the son of Poseidon... and their escape vessel was a ship.
Yeah, not a good decision.
That got them good and lost, sending them into other obstacles, like Charydis and Circe and the Titans, as well as lots of bad weather.
So nice to be reminded of all those adventures!
(smile!)
And what's that about "Obsession" for later today?
Well, I did get the ticket with my A*List, but I'm not going to see it.
It just fits with my theme, right?
Remember, I watched it last month.
That young man, "Bear", is in his early 20's and uses a 'Wish Willow' to place a spell on his coworker so she has to fall madly in love with him and respond to his sexual advances.
Tsk, tsk, where's the free will in that?
He learns soon enough that there's a price to be paid for such a wish.
Silly young man, only thinking of his own desires!
(smile!)
Then, to complete the theme, I selected "Young Washington".
Yes, I've already seen it, so I know the story line.
The events in the film were based on real ones when George Washington was a young man, in his early 20s', wanting to become part of the British militia, even though he was born in the Colony of Virginia.
You can't be a Brit if you weren't born in England, right?
Then he volunteered to be part of their militia, and ended up choosing a fort location that led to the deaths of several of his men when they were ambushed from higher ground.
Of course, one of those killed had been a friend who had warned him of the fort's poor location and potential for such ambush.
I guess the good news is he learned from those mistakes when it came time to fight against those very same Brits he'd tried to join.
(smile!)
So, on paper at least, my dance card is full, even though I shall be on a cruise next week and unavailable for cinema-bopping.
Woohoo!!!


No comments:
Post a Comment