Friday, March 29, 2013

bass

For such a tiny word, it packs a huge amount of meanings.
Consider this: how many of us have eaten seafood? Or riverfood or lakefood? I'm talking FISH. In this context, bass (pronounced /ˈbæs/) refers to a large meaty fish in the same family as the perch and the grouper. In other words, a fairly mild, yet juicy and flavorful, lean protein source, best when grilled or pan sauteed. Makes my mouth water just thinkin' 'bout it!
But for the past two days, I've been listening to two different types of bass. No, no, no, not those "singing" fish you mount on the wall.
No.
Yes, they are a fun gag gift for your favorite fisherman. But hang in there a moment, sweetpea.
I'm talking bass guitar and double bass. The former was featured in a band last night, a group from California called Sea Wolf. (Yeah, I can hear you: are they Jack London fans?? The answer: Yes, yes, the lead singer is!) The band was going to be in town as one of the offerings of the Savannah Music Festival. I had listened to a playlist of their songs a night or so ago and was captured by their use of water imagery in their lyrics. Very nice! Nice rhythmic music, too, if you catch my drift. Ah, yeah...
[Did you catch my little joke with water imagery?]
(smile)
Anywho, one of the bandmates in this pop-rock group was playing a lovely Rickenbacher bass guitar, a classic with musicians for several decades. Not only do the guitars emit a wonderful deep tone, they're pretty, too.
Well, they are!
That was last night. I deliberately chose a seat in the last two rows, at the end, so I could feel free to get up and dance if I wanted.
I never sat down.
Not once.
True story!
Today, at noon30 as the folks at SMF call it, I was treated to the sounds of a completely different instrument, the double bass. A mainstay in jazz groups and orchestras, the very large instrument tends to produce music that sometimes only dogs can hear.
Seriously, the tone is that low.
This time, the band was a jazz trio, plus one. The Aaron Diehl Trio was to play selections by the late John Lewis of the Modern Jazz Quartet, as well as other pieces. But, for this show, they would be a quartet, with vibraphonist Warren Wolf in their midst. Very nice addition! And an invigorating show, with Jason Marsalis sneaking in to replace the drummer for the final song. Sah-weet!
And so ends my little treatise on bass types.
Well, almost!
How could I possibly leave without referring to one of the greatest bass lines in vocal music?
I could not and shall not.
With no further ado, here's an energetic bunch of young men in a bass choir, treating us to "Blue Moon".
Enjoy - and y'all come back now, ya hear?

No comments: