Sunday, March 24, 2013

peanut butter & Elvis, too

So, here's a funny thing!

What? You talkin' to me?

Yep! Guess what I had the other day for lunch at the school? I'll even give you a hint: Elvis would have thought it was pretty dope!

What?! Okay, this is all because you went to that Georgia Elvis Festival, isn't it? So, now you think there is some special significance to this coincidence, right?
You know I'm right.


Hmphf. You know, just because you don't lend an event any importance doesn't mean the event was not significant.

Oh, c'mon, I'm just playing with you. What did you have for lunch?

Okay, but don't laugh... I had the Peanut Butter Elvis Melt!!!

Seriously? The school thought the kids would go for that?

I have no idea what the chef thought. Maybe, just maybe, he knew about the Elvis festival and wanted to pay it homage! Or maybe the stars aligned since I was going there for lunch and he was inspired to create this dish especially for me.

Seriously? I mean.. SERIOUSLY???

Yes. It could happen. Little miracles like that happen all the time to brighten life.

Oh, so now we've gone from "coincidence" to "miracle"? Really?

You know, you don't have to believe, but I choose to do so. When I walked in to The Galley and was looking around to see what was offered for lunch today, this entree brought a big smile to my face and my heart. THAT is what makes it important: it reminded me of happy times at Spring Break, happy times with Mama.

You're right, of course. Just because something is not relevant to one person does not mean that there isn't meaning in it for another. We each have our own version of the world, after all.
Okay, tell me about this food you're talking about.

Thank you, thankyouverymuch.
Sorry, I couldn't help myself!
Actually, I could have stopped myself, but I chose not to do so.
I don't know why people say that: "Sorry, I couldn't help myself." Of course they could have. They simply chose not to do so. Then, as an apologetic thing to smooth any ruffled feathers, they offer that phrase.

Um, weren't you going to tell me about your lunch?

Oh, right. Okay, here it is: two thick slabs of white bread, spread with peanut butter and filled with crispy bacon strips and sliced banana, then smeared with butter on the outside and grilled.
It was gLoRiOuS!!!

Elvis would have agreed, I'm sure! How often do they offer that?

Well, that's the thing: I've never seen it on the lunch or dinner menu. I suppose it's possible that they may have it at breakfast, but I wouldn't know as I don't ever attend that meal at school.
The Melt is a rather labor intensive sandwich, so I cannot imagine they would offer it at such a busy time. Heck, the Galley may well never have it again, as much time as it takes to make it.
I think this may have been a one-time, never-before, never-again thing.
That makes it even more meaningful!

No comments: