Monday, March 11, 2013

sweets for the sweet


Today, I shared more of the delectables purchased on Friday! These are three of the chocolate-clad, pecan-drizzled, toffees, made with that fabulous sourwood honey- smoky, tangy, anchoring the sweet to this realm. Fabulous, I do declare!
I had purchased a small bag of these treats, taste unknown, but knowing my love of caramels in all of their incarnations. I treated myself to one as a post-brunch dessert on Sunday, after dining sumptuously on a bratwurst and leftover kale from the night before. The toffee hit just the right note, singing a delicious melody to my eager palate. MmmmMmmmmMmmmmmmmm!
I celebrated my first day of Spring Break by having lunch and a movie with my step-mom in Bluffton. Before leaving home, I placed three of the toffees into this little plastic Chocolat sleeve, especially for her, to share the goodness with another who would truly appreciate the quality and nuances of the tastes. I waited until our time together was nearing its close, so she would have a treat to enjoy when she returned to Beaufort and got settled in for the evening. A sweet before-bed "hug" to remind her that I love her.
Later that evening, after the first part of the ODDitions at Muse Arts had successfully hit my laugh button for two hours, I headed over to the Crystal Beer Parlor where the Liquor Posse was holding court. Monday is team trivia night and the LP, in various configurations, can be found there reliably, usually winning. This night, some folks from Philo Cafe were there, as were some from Drinking Liberally, but to no avail. The team was losing. Losing badly, too. But the contestants were still in a wonderfully happy mood! Definitely a good place to be for the tail end of my evening!
Sometimes, even my scant knowledge of Trivia lends an occasional correct answer, generally in the sphere of the sciences, but tonight I was of help on the movie trivia. The question was a bonus question with ten parts. I helped on three of the questions of linking movie stars to the movies for which they received Oscar nominations. Not enough of a help, but we had fun together in the attempt. I need to make sure I do this more often!
A woman was there celebrating her birthday, which is actually March 17th. That's right, Saint Patrick's Day. She had decided that she should celebrate HER special day ahead of time, to make sure it didn't get lost in the backwash of green flowing over this town next weekend. Good idea! At the end of the party, she had extra green armbands and was generously passing them out to folks in the Parlor. How very nice! These elastic bands sported little filigree shamrocks chasing each other along the expanse of green. Even nicer! We each received one, and one of the folks gave me theirs for my house-mate. What a pleasant surprise for the peace guy!
What a wonderful day for me!
And tomorrow I shall feed stale popcorn to ducks and geese and gulls!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you ever considered changing the page layout of your website?
It's very well written; I love what you've got to say.
You've got an awful lot of text for only having 1 or 2 images.
Maybe you could space it out better?

faustina said...

Thanks for the comments!
I try to lay out the pages as art pieces, free-style poetry, if you will. Maybe you need to step back from the screen to fully appreciate it...
:D