Tuesday, March 12, 2013

it's not for lack of bread, like the Grateful Dead

I had a dinner guest over tonight and we were enjoying a bit of conversation while i was putting the meal together. I was asked what kind of day I had and I replied that it was a good one, I was catching up on my blogging. And that response led to the inevitable follow-up query: Why do I blog?
First and foremost, it's therapy. I don't always have an ear willing to listen to me without judgement as I natter on about whatever devil is troubling me. Sometimes, not always, but sometimes, it's just good to be able to get the words out of my head, out of my heart, OUT, to see and hear and feel them. As I had written once upon a time, I've always lived near a beach to drown my demons and this special virtual place serves that purpose when the physical beach is not an option.
However, there are other times I want to share something special with whatever WhoVille denizen might be bopping through the ether. A photograph clicked on a whim, an especially fun joke, a pun or two, a quote. Sometimes the pieces are more serious, concerning death or cancer, but with a reassuring slant. I even hang out one of my bits of special writings from time to time, to allow them to blow in the breeze and be fully aired out. My rap, my poems, my songs! One of those eventually made it to an open mic nght for an actual visible audience to hear and feel and taste. Sometimes I just think about doing that with the others, though I have the jellyfish lightning one ready when my moxie is.
And then we have those times when my imagination gets hotwired and simply MUST be expressed. What's the story, morning glory? Why did that happen in THAT way? What do you mean, you have fingernails now? How about a tale for the kids!
You know... weaving tales of alternate realities, when this one is not enough.
Every once in a while, I talk of music, even going so far as to re-print the song lyrics to make sure I'll always have them at my beck and search. Music has definite charms for me, whether it's blues, good ol' rock'n'roll, Motown, jazz, pop alt or not! Ear candy! Some music calms, some encourages me to rage against wrongs, some simply entertains, and some gets me up and wigglin' my butt! It all has a place in my life, in the mental filing cabinets of my brain, in the soft softs of my heart. And every once in a while, a featured place or two on the sands and surf here.
I think it's time for a few tunes now, y'all. Later!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the good writeup. I look forward to more additions from you!

By the way, how could we keep up a correspondence?
- beach walker

faustina said...

Thanks for the kind words! This is a good way to correspond, isn't it? I'll write and you let me know how I'm doing... please?
Thank you!