Saturday, April 13, 2013

artificial knees

It was to be Orange Crush weekend at Tybee, but I had already committed to joining the baseball girls duo for the play last night. "Til Beth Do Us Part" was a comedy, held over for this second weekend, and a theatre friend was directing it. She had also invited me to come over for the play, so, on a rainy Friday afternoon, I did so, arriving early to beat the Crush. In fact, I was way TOO early!
So, to pass the time, I dined at a long-time family favorite, the Sugar Shack. As a kid, this was a must-stop-here site on our way home from a day at the beach, playing in the waves and getting bronzed. Yummy malts! But no malts this time. I dined on chicken tenders and fries, relishing the teacher discount offered by the two students working there. Lagniappe!
While there, I read the alternate entertainment paper, published on Thursdays, so it was only a day old. Once upon a time, one had to subscribe to the local newspaper to get this supplement; now, it was available for free. Most of the time, I had easier access to the other entertainment listings, so it was actually rare that I Had my hands on a "DO." This was one of those times.
So, I read about the play I had come to see at Tybee. And I read various other articles, too, including the one about the next day's Savannah International Animation Film Festival, which I already had bought my all-day pass. I also phoned the director to get directions to the play site, but spoke to my retired swimmer instead, who pretty much knows how to get anywhere. Seriously. And it was really nice to talk to her! She and I don't see much of each other, but we used to, until she partnered up. You know how that goes.
Eventually, the rain ceased and I went on to the theatre-cum-arthouse to meet up with my friends. What fun!! There were even singing commercials between acts!!! If you ever get the urge to catch one of the plays at Tybee, do yourself a favor and GO. The commercials are worth the price of admission!
So, the next day, today, I'm was off to the animation festival, bright and early. Early??? Yes, indeed, the festival and talks were to only be on a single day this year, rather than the two-day event of last year. To fit everything in, the start time was - shiver - 0830 on a Saturday morning. So, there I was, to catch as many of the day's films as I could before the fundraiser I was attending that afternoon.
And guess who was also there? The retiree! What a great surprise! We watched the films and enjoyed the speaker, then we adjourned for lunch at the WhistleStop Cafe at the Savannah Visitor's Center. Then we walked back over for the festival, where I caught another hour of new shorts before I had to leave. Upon my return about two hours later, I caught the last hour or so of animation, then she and I bid our adieus.
Now, as I was going through the DO, reading the comics and filling in the crossword puzzle and the other games, a curious coincidence arose. The scrambled word puzzle's clue, as seen above, dealt with artificial knees (which the retiree now has!) and the answer was "joint venture." Which is close enough to my magic word for me! It's as if she and I were destined to reconnect!
What a great couple of days it's been for seeing friends: the retirees, the baseball duo, the bfe, and the peace Guy. Wonderful!

1 comment:

faustina said...

The baseball duo would be Lynn and Lauri Engler, my favorite mother-daughter friends.
The retired swimmer is Deborah Ray, who has now been wed to Kimmi Sampieri for five years.
The peace Guy is noone other than Roger "Joe" Guy, my favorite Rogue.
The bfe is Jeff Secrest, my favorite physicist.