Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Tuesday with the Gnats


Nothing like a ball game to set things wrong a-right. Or perhaps it was the company, too. Yesterday had been a bit hard on me, so I needed a distraction, preferably with folks who didn't know I was job-hunting. Why? So no one would ask me and remind me that my days doing what I love were drawing to a close in another few weeks.
Willie and Arthur would welcome me with open arms, I knew. And they did, both being present on that spring evening. And we sat and talked baseball and gardening and the past winter. Neither of them said a word about this coming year and the possibility of me not teaching. Not one word about that. Life was good again.
The mother and daughter duo showed up for the last few innings, just in time to do their thing with Gnat. Cool! I bopped on down and caught up with them, admiring some of the players' fine tushes, too. Oh, yeah! We even made plans to see a play on Friday together, down at the beach, directed by a friend of mine I haven't seen for a while. Very nice!
Then the game was over, my boys of summer winning this game for me. Woohoo! That was especially nice as it was the first home game I'd been able to attend. The other three games passed by without me, as I had too many other events drawing me away.
I wasn't able to attend tonight's game, either, though I could have caught the last hour after class. Instead, I sped downtown for the French super-hero film, "Judex". Totally worth the trip! Not only was the protagonist a fighter of evil, he was also a magician, able to free white doves from any scarves or pockets at hand. Very nice - I do so enjoy magic! Thanks, Jim!

No comments: