Wednesday, April 17, 2013

hopeful 4 a cure

This film resonated with me. I'm not usually a fan of horror movies, or zombie flicks, or scenes featuring repeated close-ups of decaying flesh. I don't mind shooting at zombies - oh, no, THAT is rather enjoyable and a great release of energy! I just don't want to watch them, on a large screen, for more than about 15 minutes.
That is decidely not the case here. I have seen "Warm Bodies" for my third time today. Yes, you read that correctly: my THIRD time. Thrice, I have paid good money to sit in a cinema and watch a movie about zombies. Odd, right? None the less, it IS a really good movie and it DOES have to lot to say about longing and loneliness and love.
Trust me, I tried to resist it, but the taglines kept tugging at my subconcious. "Cold body. Warm heart." "He's still dead, but he's getting warmer." "There's nothing hotter than a girl with brains." (Actually, I don't recall seeing that last one, but it's listed and sounded cool, so I reprinted it here.)
"Cold body. Warm Heart." Oh, really? Just how does THAT work in the land of zombies? Sounds like he might be a bit conflicted about his status. And who says he has a warm heart?
"He's still dead, but he's getting warmer." So, he's coming back to life, is that what is happening here? Apparently so. It's a surprise to the character, too, to realize while walking in the rain that the rain feels cold - but how could that be? He's dead, right? Right?
Apparently, he's just a little unwell, waiting for a change, waiting for a cure that he didn't even know existed.
I can totally relate.
He uses music - actual albums and a turntable from who knows where - to link him to the world he can't quite recall. He doesn't even remember his name, just the shadow of it. He doesn't recall how he ended up roaming the airport with all the other zombies, all the others in the same - or even worse - condition in this sad, new world. But he's set up camp in one of the airplanes, nesting there with all the items that have caught his eye during his rounds. He listens to Dylan and Springsteen and Waite and Orbison, songs of longing and loneliness and love.
He's even managed to find a zombie to call a friend. Someone to grunt at and have almost-conversations. Someone to look at and see himself reflected in their eyes. Someone to remind him that he was once human.
He knows he's in limbo, waiting, waiting.
I totally get that.
Limbo is a difficult place, neither here nor there, just... in between.
I miss touch. I miss kisses. I miss cuddling up with someone special.
Limbo.
For a while last summer, I was definitely getting warmer.
Then the holidays came and the warmth left and the cold returned.
R reminded me that the warmth is still inside me, waiting to be released.
I just hope I will get warm again soon.
I just hope that I will.
I just hope.

No comments: