Wednesday, February 6, 2013

elvis is IN the building!

Elvis would have been 78 last month. Specifically, the King of Rock and Roll, with his swivelicious hips and dark eyes would have been 78 on January 8th. Next month, the low country will be the site of the Georgia Elvis Festival, featuring four days of Elvis Tribute Artists performing a celebration of the man's songs and style. I am SOOOO looking forward to this! I only wish Mama were alive to venture forth in person with me, but her spirit will be dancing and swooning with mine.
Yes, yes I did say "swooning"!
And dancing, too!
But you already know to expect me to dance, right?
That's why I made sure I registered for a seat at the end of a row, near the back, so if I feel the music in me, I can let it have its way with my body and hopefully not disturb too many other folk.
Riiiight.
(big grin!)
I'm sure I won't be the only one dancing!

Anyway, one of the late-night talkers has been hosting a different ETA at the end of his program every night this week. Very nice!!! And it has really been getting me in the mood, since I don't have Willie singing "Don't be Cruel" or "Teddybear" to me during the off-season.
Monday night, Cody Slaughter performed "Jail House Rock" and did quite well. But - you knew it was coming, didn't you? - although he LOOKED just like Elvis as a young man, and he MOVED just like Elvis did for that song, his voice wasn't quite there.
Last night was Brandon Bennett, part of the "Million Dollar Quartet" in Chicago. He sang "Hound Dog", an old bluesy number, and did quite a nice job of it, too! Even better, when the short song was done, and he was signaled to keep it going, he did, with relish. Very nice! And while he wasn't quite like Elvis, he was pretty close and had some miiighty fine moves!
Tonight, we were treated to The Voice. Seriously, Justin Shandor brought it. Singing the beautiful song, "Can't Help Falling In Love", he had me from the first note. Seriously. His face may not have been quite that of the legend, certainly not for the side shots, but oh, that voice! That lovely voice, singing those romantic words!
I can hardly wait for Thursday and Friday night!

No comments: