Thursday, February 7, 2013

up jumps a tree!


I'm job hunting, for the first time in about two decades.

For the past two years, I've been full-time in a temporary position with a three-year life. This is the bottom half of the third. Fortunately, a position has opened which seems to be written for me.

The scary part is this: I'm not a big fan of competing for large-stake prizes. No, wait, that's not right. I still occassionally play the lottery, and that certainly has games with large prizes. But with the lottery, I'm not competing with other players, I'm just hoping the numbers I select will fall out of a row of tumbling cages. It's not like The Hunger Games: my life is not on the line on lottery night.

So, what has me so anxious about this job search? Especially when I have had several of my peers attempt to reassure me that I am well-qualified for the position? Especially when I have had several of my peers encourage me to "go for it!"?
Especially when I have even had people in other disciplines give me a positive nudge?

I have a pretty good guess what my issue is.
I think my past actions should speak for my future expectations.
I think my proven abilities should vouch for my future skills.
But what if that is not the case?

What if?
What if a huge invisible tree pops onto the path?
What if a huge invisible tree pops onto the path and blocks my view of the goal?
What if a huge invisible tree pops onto the path and blocks the view of me from those at the goal?
What if I spend so much time obsessing over huge invisible trees that I miss the opportunity?

Invisible trees, with great gnarled roots and twisting, long-fingered limbs.
(shiver)

Sometimes, just because you cannot see it really DOES mean it isn't there.

No comments: