Wednesday, June 11, 2014

birthday rainbow in the morning



But wait! Wasn't this photograph shown yesterday???
Yes, it was, but it's pertinent once more. You see, this was breakfast today! I heated that lovely rainbow in the frying pac, then placed it on a bed of fresh spinach, and put all of that between two slices of lightly toasted bread. While I waited for it to heat, I nibbled the rest of the corn.
What an awesome way to start the day!
After consuming the rainbow, I decided to mow the front yards.
Yes, that plural was deliberate and not some odd slip on the keyboard.
Front yards.
Mine and my next-door neighbor's.
By coincidence, he and I have the same birthday, but in different years, with him being just a few years older.
It's been my habit of the past few years to mow his grass for his birthday.
Well, let me amend that.
Around the time of our shared birthday, whenever I cut my front yard's grass, I also cut his.
His work schedule is quite erratic, allowing little time for such inane chores as mowing the green carpet provided by Mother Nature. My schedule is all over the map, too, but I'm in the neighborhood more often than he is. So, one year a couple of years ago, when I was out in the sun making my yard presentable again to the world at large, I chose to surprise him with conquered weeds.
And so I did.
Then I went off and did whatever was on my summer schedule for the day.
The next day, he made a point of coming over when he saw I was home. "Did you mow my yard?" He had asked his yard guy and he had spoken to the neighbors, trying to assess how he had been graced with a lovely yard after a hard day at work.
I admitted I did so, as his yard was so small and my mower had plenty of charge and I had been caught up with the opportunity to do him a favor.
He was quite touched.
That weekend, while I was gone, he edged my front yard when he did his.
And so it has been ever since. I mow his grass, he edges my yard.
Just the front yards, please. Who cares how the back yards look? Right?
So, today, almost two weeks after our birthday, I finally had the opportunity to keep up my end of our gift exchange.
Between my schedule and that of the rain, I simply have not had the combination of time and dry grass needed. Today, the forecast called for rain in the afternoon, but there had been no rain yesterday. That meant the morning grass was dry.
So now the deed is done!
We both have manicured lawns fronting our houses!
I am clean and heading to Bluffton for the day, so... later!!!

No comments: