Thursday, July 24, 2014

hate, anger, regret, they're not just members of a girl group I once signed



Let's play a game!
Match the quote to the correct movie!
These are all movies that are part of my Summer Kid Film Festival a n d they were all NEW TO ME!!!
Trust me, that's quite a feat. I see a LOT of movies.
And I see almost all of the films aimed at the under-10 crowd.
So, are you ready?
.
.
.
Here are the three contenders!

1) On Tuesday, at the Regal, it was "Walking With Dinosaurs".
2) On Wednesday, at the Regal again, I saw "Turbo".
3) Today, at the Carmike, I had "Alvin and the Chipmunks: Chipwrecked".
.
.
.
Here are the quotes I pulled from the movies.

A) "Hate, anger, regret, they're not just members of a girl group I once signed."

B) "Look at his little baby hands! He's so cute!"

C) "It isn't the size of the dreamer, it's the size of the dream!"

.
.
.
Time's up!
The correct answers are: 1) B, 2) C, 3) A.
That first quote was when Ian (the former record agent, clad in a pelican suit) is talking to Dave (manager of the chipmunks), near the end of the film.
The second was uttered by Alex, the alexornis, pointing out a feature of the gorgosaurus to Ricky, the recalcitrant teenager.
That last quote? Spoken by the racer, Guy Gagne, to Turbo the garden snail and Guy's numero uno fan, at a press conference prior to the Indy 500 - just before the idol dashes Theo's hopes at a private chat.
.
.
.
My favorite aspects of these features of the Summer Kid Film Festival?
In "Walking With Dinosaurs", the realistic feel of the movie was a definite draw! I didn't feel like I was watching an animated film, but more of a special on an educational channel on tv. Every time a new dinosaur appeared onscreen, we were given their scientific name, the common name, and the food preferences (omnivore, for example). Nice! I liked that and so did the many kids with me!
"Turbo" had a lot of fun moments, but several serious ones, too. After all, this is a story that deals with two pairs of brothers: Theo/Turbo and his more grounded brother Chet as well as the creative Tito and his talented taco chef brother, Angelo. The moment that most resonated for me was between the two snails, though. The day before the big race, Chet asks "What will you do if you wake up tomorrow and your powers are gone?"
Turbo's reply was priceless.
"Then I will have to make the most of today."
Right?
You know that snail was speaking my language!
As for the Chipmunks, their squeaky voices can be a bit irritating, which is most assuredly why I had not yet seen this one. But the allure was too great to complete a trio of unknowns this week!!!
So, I went. And you know what? I had fun! I liked that the shipwrecked Zoe not only had her own Wilson, but also Spalding, Callaway, and Dunlop! I like that Simon learned to let his freak flag fly! And, hearing "Born This Way" sung by animals - hahaha!
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a lawn to mow and clothes to wash and a myriad of other grown-up chores...
Later!!!

1 comment:

Fae Hill Kameron said...

25 July, 2014 2:45 AM

love this. If only I could write with such description to capture the readers attention.