Thursday, July 17, 2014

toys in the attic (and elsewhere)


This morning, I started my day with this movie about toys.
I was given free popcorn.
(Free drink, too!)
"The Lego Movie" was part of the Carmike Cinema's Summer Kid series of films.
Tonight, I will end my day with a movie about toys.
I will also receive free popcorn.
"Transformers: Age of Extinction" begins in about thirty minutes, making it a night flick, but thanks to Dealflicks and Spotlight Eisenhower Square, it won't cost me but a few bucks more than I paid this morning.
(The drink will be extra, if I choose to buy one.)
What a wonderful life!

I had seen "The Lego Movie" earlier this year, on February 18. Then, on March 16, while marking time waiting for the bfe's flight back from Canada, I arranged the pieces of the display and snapped the above photo. (That movie had some staying power, for its marketing materials to still be out in the cinema lobby!)
At the time, I thought it was a post-apocalyptic bit of fantasy and very much enjoyed it. So, I'd been looking forward to seeing it again, when I saw it was on the summer schedule.
Today, I realized something else: this film bears a striking resemblance to "Dr. Seuss' Horton Hears A Who"!!!
What a revelation!
Seriously, just hear me out.
(All subreferences intended!)
The correlation between the two does exist.
Both movies are about imaginary, small, worlds populated by inhabitants who are mostly unaware of their presence in a much larger world.
Both movies feature main characters in the larger world who are trying to convince others in their world of the presence of life in the small world.
For the most part, the inhabitants of the small world are oblivious to the fact that outside forces are at work, either for or against them.
Sure, the details differ.
One movie is completely animated and both worlds are imaginary, whereas the one I watched today had both animated fiction and live action reality.
In one movie, one of the inhabitants of the small world must convince the others of the presence of the large world in order to save their wish-puff from being scattered into the four winds. In this morning's movie, the inhabitants of the small world are never aware of the outside world. Not once.
So, off I go to see Optimus Prime! Will he save Earth?
I sure hope so!!!
(smile!)

No comments: