Sunday, December 28, 2014

Paul and Cathy go downtown!


This morning, we all went to Funky Brunch Cafe!
I've only been once before, between Arthur's funeral and my volunteer ushering at the Lucas for "Miracle On 34th Street".
It had been the perfect place for shifting gears and I had added it to the list of places to share with Paul and Cathy.
They must have had a parking angel, for we pulled up to a space right in front of the restaurant. Downtown. On Broughton Street.
That simply does not happen for me.
Good sign!
The peace Guy was already there, too! He was joining us before resuming his renovation work on his parents' house here in town.
We all enjoyed a leisurely brunch, having just beaten the big crowd. How about that?!
Then Joe left to work and we went to the museums.

Now to decide which venue to explore first?
The Jepson Center, of course!
We took the elevator to the top and worked our way down from the 3rd floor.
The first thing we saw on the upper walkway?
The Bird Girl statue!
Once a mainstay at Bonaventure Cemetery, she had been moved to the Telfair Museum to protect her from avid tourists after "the book" and "the movie" made her absurdly famous.

We then explored several of the current exhibits.
"Deep River" presented the works of Whitfield Lowell, who used barrels as his canvas for the portraits of black Americans.
"Savannah Collects" presented paintings which demonstrated the different tastes of local collectors and emphasized that art, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.
The Sculpture Terrace is actually outside, on the roof of the second-floor auditorium. (There, I made sure they noticed my favorite piece, "Mother and Child".)
The Glass House is located in the hands-on learning center and was fun for the kid in all of us!
"I Have Marks To Make", now in its 20th year, showcases art created as therapeutic works.
We visited the gift shop, too, making use of my member's discount.
Sah-weet!
Time to bop on over to the older museum, the Telfair Academy, with admission included on the passes I had given them.

I've been visiting this place since I was a girl.
Again, we took the elevator to the third floor, then explored our way down. That meant we began with the latest exhibit, "Romantic Spirits", then worked our way to the main floor's "Mansion To Museum", before hitting the scupltures, paintings, and reflection benches in the basement.
Now, time for some fun in the sun!

Of course that included a walk over to Paula Deen's restaurant and shop!
How could we possibly be downtown and not go there?
Plus, it was on Cathy's list to visit.
(smile)
We played around in the shop for quite a while, too, with Cathy having her picture taken by Paul. Me? I was photobombing her!
That was fun!
Then another block east, over to Mack's 5 & 10.
Why this store for Cathy's souvenirs?
Well, ever since I was a girl, going to Mack's in Medical Arts Shopping Plaza was a way to entertain all of us kids. Stickers, toys, puzzles, books -
all at prices a family with four kids could afford.
I'm so glad it relocated downtown!
Speaking of that, what trip to Savannah's north end would be complete without seeing River Street?
No trip, that's what!

Down there we rode, bumping along the cobbled street, enjoying the store fronts and the musicians and the foot traffic and the ships. I pointed out favorite sites along the way, ending with this sight at the east-most end. The Waving Girl has always been such a favorite of mine!
Time to go back home for some dinner!
I made one of my favorite dishes, Andy's Pasta, for us and Joe. Want the recipe? Take a can of chicken, drain the liquid into a large, covered pan. Chop an onion, add some garlic, throw in some olive oil, and cook until the onion is done. Shred the chicken, add it and the diced tomatoes to the pan, add water. Bring to a boil, add your favorite pasta (I like penne), and cook. After the pasta becomes al dente, add a bunch of your favorite leafy stuff (mustard greens, spinach, collards), put the lid on and turn the heat off. Allow it to rest about five minutes and it's dinner!
Why such an early meal tonight?
CinemaSavannah was screening "Force Majeure" at Muse Arts Warehouse and I wanted them to see it! Primarily, though, the event allowed me to introduce them to Tomasz of CinemaSavannah, Jim Reed of the Psychotronic Film Society, and the Rands, JinHi and Mark, owners of that fine venue serving as a cinema tonight.
As a bonus, some other friends were there! Barbara and Sandy had come for this later screening! I've known them for the past seven years, through the group No Kidding! and beyond.
After the film, what to do? We four headed off for dessert at one of my favorite late-night places, The Diner. Back in my college days, my friend Sam and I would hit this place after an evening of dancing at the nearby club. Ah, memories!
Good choice! They have the best variety of desserts in town, hands down. Cakes! Pies! Baklava!
And breakfast any time of day.
Joe and I even had bacon with our desserts!
What a fine way to wrap up an evening!

No comments: