Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Paul and Cathy go to Bonaventure Cemetery!


No photos this time, folks.
The day was gray and rainy, so we didn't venture out of the car much.
Paul and I had one of my egg-and-English-muffin sandwiches, along with coffee, while Cathy slept in. Then we all piled into the car and rode out to Bonaventure Cemetery. First we drove around its grounds, taking in the large variety of statuary among the Spanish-moss draped live oaks and headstones. Sure there were folks tromping around on the muddy lanes, but that was not for us.
Next, on to Forest Lawn memory Gardens, with poinsettias and mini-Christmas trees hopscotching the rows of memorial markers and the memorial walls. By this time, the drizzle was slowing greatly.
Good timing.
By the time we entered Greenwich Cemetery, the westmost of the three, the rain had stopped. After driving along the bluff road and enjoying the Romanesque statues of angels and maidens, we were able to stop and visit Mama and Frank's new place on this Earth. I explained that I had placed the seashells and small rocks on Mama's marker because she had been so taken by that Jewish tradition when she had seen "Schindler's List". (She had started doing that when she traveled to Waycross to visit my grandparents' graves.)
Visiting the cemeteries quite naturally led to a trip to my church. I wanted them to see the renovations in the sanctuary, the renovations I had helped fund with my "Celebrate The Joy" pledges for more than two years. I very much enjoy going to Asbury Memorial UMC. I find the decor to be quite soothing, as well as uplifting.
Okay, time to get a bit of food! They had never been to Chick-Fil-A and tasted that lovely chicken with the two pickle slices, so that's where we went. Funny thing: that particular store has the code "FSU". (How do you like that, Paul? It's like they knew you were coming when they built that store just a couple of years ago!)
They liked it! They really liked it!
And Paul even got a mini-sundae.
He should eat ice cream cones and sundaes more often. He visibly relaxes when he eats them. I first saw this in Las Vegas, back in 2010, when they had joined me for part of my week there. I have this photo of him eating an ice cream cone, happy as a lark, with the spires of Excaliber rising behind him. Good memories!
Now what to do? Their flight wasn't until 7 PM and we had really done everything that I had wanted to share with them, except the part about dining at Cheddar's. That was in Pooler, near the airport.
Well, we were all packed, them with their flight bags, me with my Florida-bound bags. They weren't adverse to being dropped off a bit early for their ride back home, to allow me to get a start on my drive south while some daylight remained...
So north to Pooler we headed! Then we had a very leisurely meal at the restaurant that doesn't advertise, getting some good veggies at a great price.
Then to the airport, with hugs all around and wishes for safe travels...
And me safe in the knowledge that I was not returning to an empty house on this first night of their absence, that I had a buffer time in a new bed, in a new place, to serve as my loss adjustment.
I had set this buffer in place before I had known how important it would be to me. I had thought, back in early October, that I was being smart and prepared by actually planning to to be down in Florida at the same time my dear cousin Penny and her family are there every year for the week of New Year's Eve. Then, a month later when I was fb'ing with Penny on her birthday, I mentioned my plans to see her at the end of December.
"Oh, are you returning to Tallahassee?"
"Um, no, I'm joining y'all for New Year's, when you'll be in Ponte Vedra. I've booked a stay in Ormond Beach!"
"Oh, I'm sorry, honey, but we won't be doing that this year. Steve's folks sold their condo two weeks ago."
"Seriously? Well... then I guess I'll still be going there (as it's too late to change the booking without losing all of the points)."
Now thank God I did have this booking.
That all worked out just fine for my emotional sanity.
Safe travels, dear friends! I'll miss you!
And tomorrow I celebrate the end of a New Year in the company of Random Acts of Insanity. How appropriate is that?!
(smile!)

No comments: