Wednesday, December 24, 2014

hark the herald angels sing!


That's just one of the songs we sang tonight!
No, that "we" doesn't refer to the invisible mouse in my pocket.
(smile)
Let me start by saying I attended the Christmas Eve service at my church again this year. As you may recall, I attended the special program last year with my friend, Hai, for the first time ever. He and I joined the throng of carolers afterwards - another first for me - and it was quite a magical evening.
This year, I joined my stepsister Jean and her family at the service. We sat up in the balcony, instead of on the main floor. That definitely gives a different perspective and, oddly, adds a bit of distance, both literally and figuratively, to the proceedings.
Still, when Jamie Kelso sang "Mary Did You Know?", it was the highpoint of the special program. (The video in this link is sung by Kathy Mattea and is good, but Jamie's is so very heartfelt and poetic. She's part of the local oldies-singing trio known as the Girlfriends.)
Afterward, Jean and John and my two nieces headed back home.
I stayed for the caroling!
So did quite a few others, including several of the teen crowd. Nice! Lots of energy from those!
I'm sure you're curious about the songs we sang...
Well, for sure the one in this blog title! Also, "Rudolph The Red-Nosed Reindeer", "We Wish You a Merry Christmas", "Joy To The World", "Jingle Bells", "Here Comes Santa Claus", and "Silent Night"! We even threw in "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen", one of my favorites, which I led for the first rendition. Woohoo!
The last song of the evening, as it is for each year of caroling, was "I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas". Sung, of course, to Miss Virginia, as she sat on her porch swing. Then, we all piled into her tiny house for hot chocolate, chicken fingers, and cookies, as well as other treats, prior to taking our leave and heading to our own homes.
After all, Santa Claus is coming to town!

No comments: