Friday, December 12, 2014

music in the house!


Changes are definitely overdue.
As I was talking to the bfe on Wednesday, I shared that I was going to start playing music in my house again.
He was surprised to hear that.
He had thought music was such a part of my life that a radio or CD player would be constantly on.
He's right, of course.

Before marriage, yes, the radio or some other music source was constantly playing. Television? Who needed it?
After the wedding, I tried to keep it up, until the husband came home. I tried to be considerate of him, as he worked at a radio station (for years as a DJ, then as the man who produced the commercials) and just wanted some quiet when he was off. Well, that wasn't entirely true; he preferred the sound of the television.
After Mama's death, I stopped playing music at the house, for the most part. Hearing songs that she and I would sing to each other would just send me into tears.
So, no music.
Crazy.

But that isn't news anymore.
This summer, I realized that January will make 14 years since Mama died.
14 YEARS.
That means, in 7 years, I'll be as old as she was when she died.

She was 20 years (and five months) when she had me.
That's close to 21.
21 - 14 = 7
I have 7 years until I hit the age of her last birthday.

Seven years was the length of time on the contracts in "Poor Devil". Willing to sell your soul to Lucifer to get what you want? Fine! When you sign the deal, you'll have seven years of him (or his agent) doing your bidding, seven years that will be the best of your life! Then you go straight to Hell, do not pass GO, do not collect $200.
(Monopoly, y'all. Try to keep up.)
I would like to think the next seven years will be the best of my life.
No deals with the Devil are involved, just me taking back those things that once brought me joy.
Music in the house, so my butt is always wiggling and my feet are always jiggling! I may even get up and dance, too!

I had also told the bfe that I'm going to start wearing perfume again.
I had stopped back in 1992.
How can I recall that so clearly and quickly?
Well, I was getting married that October. My stepdad was diagnosed with COPD and was suddenly attached to an oxygen machine everywhere he went. Because fragrance competed with oxygen molecules for space in the air, perfumes and colognes were no longer to be worn around him.
Mama had to give up perfume.
That was a very big deal.
She always wore scent and had done so for all of my life.
Now, no more Charlie for her.
In solidarity, I ceased wearing perfume, too.
Every once in a while, I would still wear some fragrance, but not if I were going to be visiting Mama and Frank.
After a while, I stopped completely.

Now, it's time to "dress up" with scent again.
Perfume to delight my nose and make me feel special, make every day seem special. I'm thinking citrus...

No comments: