Wednesday, December 17, 2014

therapy through charity


Today's message from the Universe:

Sure, we have an "Advanced Self Help" department here, Faustina!

Down the hall and through the doors with the sign that says, "Help Others."

Yeah, same-same, because the therapy that comes from helping someone else is one of the most advanced ways to help yourself.

Shhhhhh... please do not tell a single soul!
The Universe


Of course, as soon as I read it, I copied it to post here, for all the world.
How much better would life be if we all gave of ourselves to others?
I'm not talking about writing checks or digging in your pocket, either. That can help others, but you might want to check the Charity Navigator or Better Business Bureau first. After all, you want to be sure the majority of any monies you donate are used for the programs they espouse, not for the staff or fundraising.
No, throwing money at folks is not the best way to help.
Your time is a valuable resource for them, too.
Ever since the summer, I have been volunteering my services at the Lucas Theatre For The Arts.
Every month, the list of events which need ushers is sent out. I look at my schedule and select those events which I know I will be able to attend. I am very careful to not double-book myself, as I have no clone to stand in for me.
As my friends will attest, if I say I will be present at a gathering, I will certainly be there. As a volunteer, it is doubly important to maintain those appointments, as others are depending upon my physical and mental presence.
I have found that I enjoy having that responsibility of being a Volunteer.
Certainly, I have also enjoyed the events for which I am "working." So far this month, I have served as an usher for a ballet ("The Nutcracker in Savannah"), a Christmas chorale ("Savannah Children's Choir Christmas Show"), and two holiday films ("Home Alone" and "Miracle on 34th Street"). All very enjoyable, some of which I might have attended on my own. Possibly. (Although, at this time of year, many events compete for my time, especially on the weekends.)
Tonight, I usher for the speakeasy-style show, "Cool Yule: A Christmas Cabaret"! I know I am going to very much enjoy being present for this! Johnny Mercer's holiday tunes! Trae Gurley (think modern Frank Sinatra)!! Folks dressed up for a party!!!
So, use the link and you can be there, too... and I will be glad to help you find your seat!

1 comment:

faustina said...

The Lucas Theatre has been managed by SCAD for quite a few years now, so they use SCAD students for their usher staff, not just in the concession area.

I do miss volunteering there.

At least I still get to do so through the Savannah Music Festival!

https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2024/03/pedro-estava-na-casa-do-teatro-lucas.html