Sunday, August 14, 2016

bananas sunday!


Bet your first thought was ice cream, wasn't it?
Mine, too!
But that would be a sundae of a different flavor and not suitable for my lactose-intolerant physical being.
A Savannah Bananas Sunday was perfect and one of a kind!
This is the first time they've played on a Sunday.

And guess what?
Mister Willie was
right there
in his seat!
On a Sunday!
That was unheard of.
That's how you
knew
how special this game was.

Austin was racing
all over the place,
but he did stop
to give me a
big hug!
He even made sure
I had J-4-28
for this
last game at Grayson!

What about Split,
that King of Potassium,
the top Banana?
Oh, he was there,
big grin and
everything!
I should have had
my shades on -
the future is so bright!
(smile)

Finally, I was
in my seat,
my first-ever box seat.
Carol and Chat
were already there,
him in his usual
pale blue shirt.
I'm two seats away,
wearing Mother Pat's
golden dolphin dress
for good luck.

One last time
for the Grim Reaper,
banana on the
end of his scythe,
treading above the
opposing team's dugout
as their roster is read.
(I just love that part,
complete with
tolling bell!)

One last time
for a pair of fans
to take on two Bananas
in a relay race around the bases!
Are you faster than a Banana?
Not if Christian Hollie, #12,
is the man you're racing!

One last time
for the Banana Boys
to take the infield
and do their dance!
That's Austin, on the left,
perplexing the three umpires.
Hahahaha haha!

One last time
for my boys of summer to shake what their Mamas gave 'em,
in between innings.
Jesse Coles even danced
with them!

As for the game...
my boys were there to play!
At the very first at-bat
for the Savannah Bananas,
Clay Dungan hit a home run!!!
Here he is, #6,
part of the bunch of Bananas
at the plate!!!

At the end, all of the Bananas gathered before the crowd at Grayson Stadium one last time.
They had emerged victorious, 8 to 4, against the Peninsula Pilots in this first game of West Division versus East Division for the CPL Petitt Cup!
The next game - or two, should a tiebreaker be needed - would be on the Pilots' home turf in Hampton, Virginia.
Godspeed and good fortune to you, my dear boys!
Thank you for making my birthday:58 one I will long remember and for giving me the best stay-cation ever!

i thank You, God, for such a blessing and for allowing me to share the baseball games, for one more summer, with Willie, those Engler women, and so many friends!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Woohoo!!!

That first game on Virginia soil saw the Pilots take the game, making a third game necessary.
And the Bananas won!!!!!
Hooray!!!!

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt-savannah-bananas-peninsula-pilots-cpl-game-3-20160816-story.html