Tuesday, August 23, 2016

happy quarter-century birthday, internet!


Can you believe it's only 25 years old?
Seriously?
I am so blessed to have been born when I was!
Seriously.
I cannot imagine how much longer it may have taken to finish my doctorate without the aid of computers. As it was, the writing of my book took almost four years. If I had been required to type it on a typewriter, whether electric or not, so much more time would have been needed... and so much more white-out for the typos!
The typing would not have been the only thing slower and more cumbersome. I would have had to mail the drafts to Dr. Mandelkern, then wait for him to read and edit them and mail them back to me.
Why would I have to do it that way? Well, I had married the disk jockey and he was in Savannah. I had no intention of living in Tallahassee, Florida, for two years, writing, while my man waited in Georgia.
And so, I had to finish with FSU by long-distance. FYI: I do not recommend that course of action. I had been told that Dr. M was not happy about my getting wed and moving away, but did I listen?
Seriously?
Back to the saga of my book about plastic.
The mailing of the portions of my dissertation, from one state to another, would have been at the pace of the postal service, not at the speed of email. Granted, by today's standards, the dial-up modem speeds which were available back in the mid-1990's were painfully slow. However, even when it was hours long, that speed still ran circles around the days-long pace of the USPS.
(Mind you, I still use the USPS for much communication with family and friends. As maligned as the post office is by others, I maintain that what we have is so much better than that of other countries.)
As I said at the start, I am so blessed to have been born when I was.
I am so blessed to have chosen to go to graduate school when I did.
I am so blessed to have been finishing grad school when I did.
Hallelujah!

.•*.•.ღ•* *•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•
♪ღ♪ ░H░A░P░P░Y░♪░B░I░R░T░H░D░A░Y░!░ ♪ღ♪
*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•¸.•*.•.ღ•*•*

Happy birthday, internet!

Now, I'm off to willingly allow my AB+ blood to be withdrawn for the world!
Then I'm slated for wild wings and "War Dogs" with Kevin!
Wonderful!!!

No comments: