Saturday, August 20, 2016

kokumo dancing in the dark



Kokumo Collective Dance Company is composed solely of adults. That sets it apart from the other, all-ages or children-only, ensembles of the Abeni Cultural Arts Performing Dance Studio. I have been blessed to attend their dances for most of the ten years they have existed. (Timing is everything, in dance and in life. Their beginning coincided quite well with my AD life.)
Muriel Miller, the artistic director, and Darowe McMillon, the manager, are incredibly gifted dancers who are able to incorporate near-acrobatic maneuvers into the flawlessly smooth movements of their feet across the floor and of their arms and hands in the air.
Yes, I am such a big fan of theirs!
Honestly, I try not to miss any of their events... but I think the last one I managed to work into my schedule was back in December.
I don't recall how I found out about this adults-only show, but I can tell you this: I bought my ticket immediately!
I'm so glad I did!
What a different experience it was from everything else I've ever seen them perform! The theme of the late-night show was "secrets" and the effects of those hidden truths on others.
Deep, dark secrets.
Alcoholism.
Physical abuse.
Multiple sexual partners.
Abortion.
Adultery.
Promiscuity.
Homosexuality.
Depression.
Suicide.
"Kokumo After Dark" sought to shed light on these topics, but in a nonjudgmental format. No finger-poking, no name-calling, just dragging the subjects into the light so they could be acknowledged.
Recognition of the enemy is the first step toward resolution.
Rise up - awaken to those around you.
I admit, some parts of the show were very hard to watch. The young woman blaming herself because her boyfriend keeps beating her. The once-elated young woman hiding her depression, eventually bringing a gun into play. The young woman impregnated by a one-night stand, opting for a coat hanger as a solution.
Other parts were quite beautiful! The honeymoon dance, in particular, between Muriel and Lorenzo, portrayed their love in classic fluid movements, with an almost chaste sensitivity. I was not the only one quite touched by that scene!
And you know I danced, right?
During the intermission, I got up and swayed to the beach-style song. No, the tune was not "Kokomo", but some other similar song from a couple of decades earlier. It had been all I could do to stay in my seat during some of the numbers in the first act. What a relief to have that out of my system for the more somber second act!
I should have danced before the show, too.
There was an hour-long concert beforehand, with Gary Swindell & Friends, including jazzist Dexter Lott. Gary sang several of his originals, including "You Were Made For Me", and "Time Heals All Wounds", both of which emphasized tonight's show theme.
The group also performed some works by others. My favorite was George Benson's "Breezin'". Very nice saxophone, Thomas! Well done!
My thanks to Gary for treating me to a free copy of his cd, "Heart Mind & Soul"! I'll be sure to share some tunes with my cousin, Sharon.

i thnak You, God, for the coincidences that led me to Muse Arts Warehouse for tonight's performance...
and for bringing Abeni Cultural Arts into my life!

No comments: