Friday, August 12, 2016

pardon me, my hypoglycemia is showing


Honestly, that's the best rationale I can give for what happened tonight.
I had "A Spoonful of Sugar" and found myself weeping for the next two hours.
It's not that I didn't appreciate the 29-year-old Julie Andrews and her four-octave voice.
That was all quite lovely.
And, in truth, it wasn't even that song that started the onslaught of tears as I watched "Mary Poppins" at the Lucas tonight.
It was the oddest experience.
There I was, sitting a seat away from Ken, as is our custom. I was doing my usual thing of mouthing the words to the songs - which, oddly, sprang to mind as if I had seen the 1964 film recently. In between the singing and the dancing in my seat, I found myself wondering about the animated segments, none of which I really remembered.
Odd, that.
Then came the part with all of the chimney sweeps, up on the rooftops. And as they sang and danced of being a "Step in Time", I noticed I had tears flowing down my face. It wasn't as though a sad thought had suddenly distracted me or popped into my head.
Oh, no.
I was watching and tapping my foot, just as Mary Poppins was doing, when I felt the wetness on my cheeks and sliding toward my jawlines. I sought to discreetly staunch the flow with my shirt sleeves, up near my shoulders, as I preferentially tend to do.
The tears persisted throughout the rest of the movie...
and I found myself missing Mama...
inconsolably.
At the end of the screening, Ken was talking about the child actor, but I mumbled an excuse and fled to the door. I saw Haley and gave her a hug, tears rolling, and tried to talk about my mother, but could not. I ended up in the bathroom, hiding out in a stall and trying to quiet my sobs enough to leave.
Finally, I did, barely managing to maintain composure to a shaded park bench on Oglethorpe Square. There I remained, mourning the loss of my mother, for at least twenty minutes.
I knew better than to drive in my condition.
At least I still had that much sanity to my credit.
I'm going to bed now.
Tomorrow will be a new day...

No comments: