Wednesday, May 28, 2014

birthday ex



Ha ha! I know what you're thinking!
You think I left out an "s" in that title, aren't you?
You are soooo very wrong!!!
(smile!)
I wrote what I meant and I meant what I wrote: birthday ex.
He was in town, on vacation from Michigan. He actually comes to town around Memorial Day every year, since at least 2012. I specifically recall that year, as he was in town for his older daughter's graduation from high school. He had called to let me know he would be in Savannah and asked if I would like to meet up with him. I was just returning from Italy, so he was the one who picked me up. Then we went to have a burger - his treat for my birthday - and catch up with each other. Remember?
He had texted me about 9 PM last night:'Wanna get together?'
He had known I was back from Daytona. His two girls were keeping each other company and this might be our only chance to meet up.
So of course I said yes!
We went to Applebee's - a chain restaurant!!! - to hoist a beer for my birthday and nosh on some appetizers, like the wonton tacos, his favorite. He snapped this selfie there. Not bad, right? And a good memento of our meet-up for my special day.
He drove, but I showed him how to get southside using the newly-extended Truman Parkway - nice! Cut the trip time easily in half!
We listened to the folks doing karaoke there, talked a bit, then he brought me back home and went to his La Quinta. After all, he was to meet up for breakfast with his girls the next day.
That didn't happen. There was something about changed work schedules for the older girl, with the upshot being that he was on his own until 4 PM. So, he called and we decided to meet for lunch.
His treat, again! We had started toward a familiar mexican place, but then he spotted the barbeque joint right next to it.
"Local?" he had asked.
I had replied that I thought it might be.
So there we went!
(Remember? He favors local places, not chains.)
Good ribs, too, and a nice range of sauces at a help-yourself station. He had a smoked sausage and some pulled pork and really enjoyed them.
Nice lunch!
Then he was off to see his daughters and I was off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz!
(Not really, but I simply couldn't resist!)

No comments: