Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Wells Fargo and the safe deposit box caper


So, as I mentioned earlier, the ex and I had lunch today.
But first, a stop at the bank. You see, even though we have been divorced for nearly seven years, Wells Fargo was sending him messages about the annual renewal fee for my safe deposit box.
What?
Yes.
It blew my mind when he just happened to mention it this morning.
Did I know anything about him still having a safe deposit box here in Savannah?
No, I did not. I have a safe deposit box here.
Well, Wells Fargo had sent him a message about its renewal fee coming due soon.
Say what????
.
.
.

We met up the the southside branch, where the box was and where we once had a joint account, and met with a decidedly uncourteous account manager there.
Yes, she said, the joint checking and savings acounts had been terminated years ago. Before Wells Fargo took over Wachovia. So Wells Fargo didn't have any record of him having ever signed off on the safe deposit box. They could "research" it for us, for a fee. However, they could not guarantee that the research would yield any useful results, as they did not know how well the records would have been kept at Wachovia.
Oh, really? Did she just go there with that slur?
Yes. Yes, she did.
Okay, fine.
He was here, I was here, let's just get that paperwork done now, shall we?
No can do, the unhelpful account manager said.
We would need to close out that safe deposit box and open a new one in just my name.
Oh, really?
Yes.
You have got to be kidding??? I do hope, really, truly, that she one day finds herself in this situation.
But, okay, fine, fine, fine. We can do that, we told her.
Just one catch, she says. They only have the small boxes available right now, half the size of my current box, and have a long waiting list of folks wanting the larger size.
.
.
.

Well, hell's belles.
So, I kept the box I have. Yes, his name is still on it, meaning he has access to everything I have there. Not that I have anything in there that belongs to him.
Well, not now.
It turns out I still had an official copy of his birth certificate, which he now possesses. I would have sworn I had given that to him years ago, along with his passport, Social Security card, and his mother's diamond ring.
As it happens, he was needing that birth certificate, as he wants to get a passport again. So, coincidence that he should bring up the safe deposit box after six years of getting notices?
I think not.
There are no coincidences.
I am sure that was Mother Pat trying to help him out, as she always did.
For him to have brought it up before, when he was still halfway across the country, would have served no purpose.
Timing, my dear.
Timing is truly everything.

You better believe I'm going in search of another safe deposit box.
One for just my stuff.
And I'm going to close out my dealings with Wells Fargo. Their slogan may be that courteousness is the central tenet of their business, but not from the way I was treated today.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When will you be doing another article on this subject? 

Amela
birmingham safety deposit box

faustina said...

Amazing. For the first time since that visit in May of 2014, I was in need of something in my safe deposit box. The young woman I spoke with THIS time listened intently as I told my tale. She knew instantly who we had spoken to before. As it turns out, Lashonda Williams is no longer an employee at Wells Fargo. I guess too many complained about her treatment of them.
I have an appointment to close this box and open a new one - of the same size - on Wednesday.
Wonderful!