Saturday, May 24, 2014

fiReWOrKs!!!


What is Memorial Day weekend without baseball and fireworks, right?
Well, certainly the latter is on most folks' minds.
Certainly is on my mind!
After all, my birthday falls right around Memorial Day, so I'm accustomed to giant light displays to help celebrate my special day!
Baseball is always a nice touch, too, these days, watching my boys of summer take the field and steal bases and make double plays and swat balls over the fence... oh, my!
Sometimes, it's almost like they're dancing out there!!!

So, here I was in Daytona Beach to celebrate my birthday.
And here it was my very first full day here.
Early in the afternoon, I had seen a fabulous film about an older woman - like me - making a recovery from grief and finding delight after her best friend's death. Brighter days ahead!
Then, I had found some gorgeous pink floral leather sandals - La Plume Jen Rosa, made in Italy!!! - at a cute boutique near Cinematique and bought them on sale because they were the floor model. Woohoo!! I also purchased this dressy pair of black and purple Zendals - like my "party in my pants" panties, no one will see the purple unless I show it to them. Ooh la la!!!
Later that evening, I returned for the Florida premiere of "Tanzania: A Journey Within", a film about a young woman's travels with her best friend. The director, Sylvia Caminer, was there for a post-film question and answer session with the sold-out audience. HIV-status and deaths from AIDS were a big topic, as well as malaria, the lack of clean water, and general squalor. I am so glad I was there for this event!
Then, as I came out into the warm summer evening, with the cool breeze teasing me toward the garden across the street, I noticed something across the waterway.


Jackie Robinson Ballpark was lit up!!!
The Daytona Cubs must be in town!!!
Like my Sand Gnats, they are also a Single A team, starting young men out for the Chicago Cubs.
Like my Sand Gnats, they were also the 2013 Champions for their league.
What a bonus! I had not checked their schedule prior to the trip, so how wonderful to see that they had games on this weekend! Woohoo - a double header tomorrow!!!
But do they have Saturday fireworks, like my Sand Gnats?

I didn't have to wait long to find out. The game was just ending and the announcer got the crowd to chant with him. I chimed in, too. "Ten... nine... eight... seven... six... five... four... three... two... one!!!"
Lights out! But look up in the sky!!!









What an incredible first day...
... and first night! ...
for my birthday holiday weekend!
Thank you, Daytona! Thank you, Universe!!
i thank You, God!

No comments: