Thursday, May 15, 2014

changing the tv channel


Seriously.
I think the changing of the television channel at The Distillery has flipped some kind of friendship switch into the "off" position for Hai.
Not for me. Just for him.
The day had gone well. He was without a car still (his had been wrecked), so I had picked him up about 5:30 and we headed to the Jepson Center. In celebration of the Marilyn exhibit, they were screening "The Misfits", a film I don't recall every seeing before. It was a western, of all things, and starred Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, and Montgomery Clift, in a screenplay crafted by Marilyn's husband, Arthur Miller.
It was a rather dark film, with all of the characters being damaged goods. In particular, the aging, alcoholic cowboy which Clark Gable played bore an uncanny resemblance to my middle brother. (Perhaps because that brother bears a likeness to the actor and has been bestowed with the nickname "Clark Gable" by Mr. Willie? Possibly.)
At any rate, I was a bit subdued after the film.
Hai was not. He was chomping at the bit to get to the eatery. Hungry? No.
You see, tonight they were featuring one of the breweries in their upstairs area. As a member of their loyalty club, he would be able to get some swag from the featured brewery.
So, we hopped on over there.
That's when the trouble began.
As soon as we arrived, he had to stop and chat with two fellows out front. The chat became extended, but he did not introduce me to them.
Fine, whatever.
Then, as soon as we entered the place, he jetted upstairs, with no fare thee well or anything. Just sprinted up the wooden steps as though they were giving away cash money and he was missing out.
Rather rude, right?
But he's a friend, not a boyfriend, and a rather young friend at that, so I would just let it slide.
I was hungry and thirsty, so I asked to be seated by the hostess, letting her know there would be two, eventually. I had noticed that "The Terror of Tiny Town" was on a couple of the huge tv sets and asked to be seated such that I could watch the movie. The hostess led me to a table with a great view of one of the bar tvs and all was well.
Briefly.
I placed my order and texted Hai to let him know what I was doing.
After all, The Distillery is one of his favorite places. I wanted to let him know all was okay, that they even had a fun movie to entertain me, instead of all the sports on the other ten thousand televisions there.
So, that's how things fared for about 15 minutes. Just long enough for me to get my iced tea and the hummus platter, still with no Hai in sight or responding to my texts.
But he responded to this one.
Damn. Some idiot just had them change the channel to THE SAME BASKETBALL GAME THAT IS ON THE OTHER BAR TV. Damn.
Seriously, the two tv sets are EACH at least five feet long and are set along the back of the 14-foot bar. What blind fool was unable to watch the game? What idiot of a bartender didn't bother to point that out or cut off the blind drunk?
I asked the hostess, my waitress, and another waitress to please have the tv channel changed back to the movie.
Nothing happened.
Both of the bar tvs continued to show the EXACT SAME GAME.
Then the waitress came and she had my order wrong. She had brought the sandwich when I had specifically asked for the salad.
Eventually, as I said, Hai showed up, his pockets stuffed with beer glasses.
Not beer mugs. Not beersteins.
Just regular-sized glasses with beer logos on them.
Ooooh. Aaaahhh.
Did he ask them to change the channel for me?
No.
No, he acted like I was somehow at fault and that I was going to sully his regard for the place because I was unwilling to be ignored and disregarded.

Sigh.

We left shortly after we finished our meals.
I even tipped the bad waitress well, so as to not mess up his mojo there.
Somehow, I don't think I need to have bothered.
I think his switch has flipped to "off".

That will be very sad.
We have certainly had some grand adventures these past few months.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Yes, Hai Dang has never forgiven me for making a scene at The Distillery.
That place no longer exists, by the way. The aging owner wanted out of it and none of his kids wanted to take over, so he sold it and it closed last year.
Back to Hai.
He doesn't even speak to me, but he's done that with others, too, so at least it wasn't me that caused the rift.
I've made my peace with that.
https://beachwalksoffaustina.blogspot.com/2019/02/barefoot-hobo-in-broken-overalls.html