Friday, February 21, 2014

graze


Okay, admittedly,
I had my doubts about this program.
Healthy snacks by mail?
And the first box was free?
Yeah.
Just how big are the packages of snacks?
And how much will it cost me in the future?
Important questions.
I had spotted the ad in an issue of Rolling Stone, while looking for an article about one of my Kickstarter projects. Free food? No shipping and handling fees? Really?? What's the catch?
But I had pulled the page out and set it by the computer, to consider.
A week it sat there before I decided to give it a whirl.
First thing I noticed was they wanted a credit or debit card number.
Yup.
But they had that line: "your first box is free & you can stop deliveries any time."
Fine. That's what I would do. get the free box and jet outta there.
But I'm going to stay.
My first box arrived today, nestling inside my mailbox with the daily pleas from charities around the country, all waiting patiently for me to return from my day's activities.
First on the agenda was a faculty lecture about LGBTQ issues. I referred them to the First City Network, here in town for twenty-five years, and no one seemed to know about it. I must live in some different world than many of my colleagues.
Next was a two-hour meeting of the committee I have served on, actively, too, since Fall of 2011. (You may recall my fight to continue to serve for Student Success last fall.) We are meeting with the President of the university on Monday and wanted to have a brainstorm session. Lots of good ideas on how to keep students here; hopefully, other faculty will be supportive, but I doubt they will be in my department.
Afterward, I met with the physicist for dinner prior to the opening night's film of the 6th Annual Francophone Film Festival. We kept it latin-based and international, dining on Mexican fare at the last El Potro in town. We then returned for the festival! The film this evening, "Les Adieux a La Reine", was a cinematic feast in its own right, with lavish costumes and room decor, full of angst during the days immediately following Bastille Day. I can't say any of the characters are particularly likable, but their tale is engaging.
I had hoped to stay for the reception, but the bfe had to get home, having had a very early day and another in store, so off we jetted. Then I had returned to find a package in the mailbox.
I opened it, curious to see which of my selections might have been chosen for this free box. "My Thai", with its sweet chili sauce for dipping the soy crackers! "Apple Cosmo", featuring lime-infused apple slices, raisins, and cranberries! "Banoffee Pie", chock full of banana chips, fudge, almonds, and pecans! "Black Pepper Pistachios"! How very nice!
Good portion sizes, attractively - and ecologically - packaged treats. All for what would have been $1.50 per package, including shipping & handling. Six bucks per box of four snacks, flat fee, all included. All snacks portable, none needing refrigeration or heating, sized and ready to slip into a pocket or purse any time.
Yeah, I think I'll stay in the program!
I invite you to give it a whirl, too.
That's right, I said "invite."
You simply enter the code shown here and you can try them for free, like I did.
They are well aware of the power of word-of-mouth advertising, much like the restaurant Cheddar's is. Cheddar's began as a single casual cafe in Texas in 1979 and is still going strong, with restaurants all over the United States and zero dollars spent on advertising of any kind. It's all word-of-mouth business and it definitely works. No funds spent on advertising means a lower overhead for the business, allowing them to pass those savings on to you and me.
So, I invite you to try "graze".
Use the code "FAUSTI1ZB" (as in fausti 1 z b) and you'll actually receive TWO free boxes.
That's a treat that's doubly good!
What do I get? Well, I get $1 off my next box.
Win, win!

No comments: