Tuesday, April 22, 2014

film fest with the physicist


What a fabulous day today! I awoke late, but right on time for my first niece to call before breakfast and lure me away to a Mexican brunch! Muy bueno, chica!!! She and I had fajitas and conversation for two hours! Very nice way to start my day!
Then, I managed to get the front yard and almost half of the back yard mowed before the battery ran low in my mower. Yeah! After all, I had hoped to get at least the front done before the rain came.
Oh, blue sky day, you say?
(smile.)
True, the day began that way. But, as time approached for my dinner at Chez Secrest, I knew the rain would, too. You see, it's become a bit of an inside joke for us. Fortunately, we both like rain.
This time, it held off until after we had dined on Garlic-Ginger Shrimp Couscous. We were inside, enjoying the Fliss of Kickstarter Film Festival when the rains came. All comfy cozy were we, with cats in laps!


Oh, I see I lost you with that film festival reference. Sorry 'bout that! No, it was not an advertised event, it was a viewing of six of the short films I have backed as Fliss. Fliss of Kickstarter.
(smile.)
Best of all, for me, was the bfe's active embrace of the event. Truly.
Yesterday, I had first suggested my bringing some of my swag to share, instead of him supplying a movie. He had agreed and today I had picked out six shorts for us, being mindful of his tastes.
Tonight, after dinner was done and we adjourned to the living room, I brought out the films. He encouraged me to give him some synopses, then he arranged the films in the order he thought would be best...being mindful of my tastes. Meaning, he was sure to place an upbeat film as the finisher. I must say, I think he did an excellent job with the scheduling!
(smile!)
First up was "Allegheny Creek". I had told him it was about a fellow released from prison and trying to reconnect with his son and ex-wife. After the film was over, he remarked on its ending, that it felt real, leaving things unresolved and unsettled. Good!
Next up was the Reichard brothers' film. I had billed it as a robbery of a diner, with a twist. (Pretty much the same way I had titled my review of "The Restaurant Job".) Big hit! The bfe loved its professional feel and the way the story played out. Good! I had hoped he would!
"The Flight" did not quite suit his fancy. My synopsis had been that it was a post-apocalyptic tale with a lesbian lead, but was not an LGBT film. At the tale's end, he admitted that the steampunk-flavor lent a prettiness overall, but the plot was fairly tame. I added the background of the local library's summer of 2011 program which had been centered on Ray Bradbury's "Fahrenheit 451', which had no doubt had an impact on this project. I had attended several of the events and totally enjoyed the science fiction. (Note: it was NOT 2011, but 2008 for that Bradbury book.)
Yeah, yeah. Next film, please!
(smile!)
So, on to the story of the girl-crazy boy who gets cursed by a gypsy! Oh, wait, that isn't PC! But the title is "Gypped", so the term stays. So there! This humorous fable of a fellow with hubris was a fine mental palate cleanser, offering a quick and bubbly bit of distraction before the more sober tale to follow.
"Billy Brown", the film about the would-be comedian in search of the right audience, was to be the fifth and penultimate film in our festival of shorts. However, it only got halfway in before technical difficulties interfered with out viewing. Perhaps that was one of my angels looking out for me. After all, I had cautioned the bfe that I had cried all three times that I have watched this film. Still, I will try to upload it for him, as I think he may like the realness of its title character.
And so we reached the sixth of six films. I had spoken of "Assisted Loving" as a love story in a nursing home, done beautifully by the talented Sam Queen. With its professional touch and zany characters, this film was definitely the perfect dessert to enjoy as our evening neared its end. Like the physicist, I anticipate more good works from these craftsmen.
Such a lovely evening, I tell you!
And look... the rain had even stopped.
(smile!)

No comments: