Tuesday, April 29, 2014

you were only killing time and it'll kill you right back



I just love the lyrics of John Steinman!
Especially when Meat Loaf is giving voice to them!
The point of the song (Out of the Frying Pan) was driven home today.
The summer is coming and I have no air conditioning.
I think there may be some days coming soon being in a frying pan is how I'll be feeling.
That's okay, I'll see how it goes. if I get to feeling more direct heat than indirect, well, I'll deal with it then.
Meanwhile, I'll have some A/C to escape into until the middle of June.
Of course, that'll be a frying pan of a different sort: kitteh-sitting the bfe's two old lady - I mean, OLD LADY - cats. Neither are in the best of health and certainly might not have withstood four weeks in a foster home while he is away in Ontario. After all, both girls have now lived than 13 years of this particular one of their nine lives.
Speaking of that, do you guess cats believe in reincarnation? Do you ever wonder if the nine lives myth might refer to the number of times they get to return to life on Earth before their energy is redistributed? If cats are granted multiple chances to get life right, then why don't dogs and horses and humans get to have multiple lives? Or do we? Are those who tell tales of being so-and-so in a previous life telling the truth? Are our predilections toward favorite things a remnant from an earlier existence?
I wonder such things, though not generally around other people. After all, folks might wonder about the tightness of my grip on reality. Well, assuming they don't already wonder about that.
(smile!)
As I was saying, I'll be visiting the girls on a frequent basis. Honestly, I'm surprised that I agreed to do such a thing. I know his love for them and so this is an incredible responsibility I have undertaken. It's a lunacy to have agreed, akin to saying I would take care of someone's two children while they were gone for a month.
I certainly wouldn't have agreed to do this for anyone else.
But when the topic was broached recently of his impending travels (he leaves on May 20th and returns June 14th), I had asked what his plans were for his girls.
And I had volunteered my services.
And he had said that he had hoped I would.
So, there you have it.
He will write up a list of things to be done, vets' phone numbers, where the amoxillin is for Tess' intermittent sinus troubles, where needles and steroids are should they be required to offset the pain in a failing kitty, how to administer a needle pop... you know, the important stuff.
That last part, though, I may not be able to do. That's okay, his girlfriend is a physician's assistant and he'll include her phone number, so she can ride to our rescue (from Charleston? from Beaufort?), if need be.
I certainly hope that fire can be avoided.
The situation is complicated by the fact that the bfe is currently without a communicator.
Sure, he has email. He has facebook, too.
But his phone is useful only as a timer these days.
When he went up to Canada for a five-day stint in March, he wasn't mindful of the international fees for his internet usage. Even though his phone service kept trying to warn him, he ignored the alerts. He kept killing time by dawdling in the ether and ran up a bill that's higher than his rent.
Ouch.
So, now our only form of communication is via the aforementioned email and facebook system. Just so you know, that can be pretty slow going and is highly dependent on our checking in on those sites.
Ouch.
But maybe my lunch today will be a good omen of things to come. You notice how the red pepper slices form the numbers "2 0 1 4"? Isn't that cool??? When I pointed it out to the waitress, she assured me the kitchen staff had not deliberately done that. Coincidence must have, right? Or serendipity?
Coincidence and serendipity certainly had a hand in my being there, at Outback, for lunch today. After all, multiple factors combined to produce this resultant salad display for me.
First, my tire blew out.
Yep, one of the new tires I had bought last fall.
Fortunately, I was only about half a mile from the dealership which had sold me the tires. I just kept driving and limped on in there.
Fortunately, today was a Tuesday, so they weren't too busy and would be able to tend to my car in about an hour.
Perfect! I had not yet had lunch!
Where to dine, though?
Well, do you recall me kvetching about having lost a hundred dollar gift card back in March? I had found it over the weekend, while cleaning out my trunk. For whatever reason, it was in a plastic bag. By itself. It's a wonder I had not already recycled the bag, honestly.
Fortunately, one of the restaurants of the group listed on the card was right next door to the tire shop.
Right?
I was in the right place, at the right time.
Nice!
So, that is how I ended up with this beautiful tuna salad, for free.
THAT is a good use of a fire and a frying pan!

No comments: