Tuesday, April 8, 2014

cat whisperer


Hi, my name is Faustina.

Hi, Faustina.

I'm a cat whisperer, apparently.

Um... you may be at the wrong meeting...

[Misinterpreting the muttering of the crowd] Yeah, the news comes as a surprise to me, too. But cats - at least two that I know - have had me intervene on their behalf on more than one occasion.

Mama told me to humor crazy people. Let's see where this goes.

Tonight, I was over at the physicist's place for dinner and a movie. We've been doing that on Tuesdays fairly frequently this year and I've really enjoyed it. Tonight's feast was a country picnic, replete with barbequed chicken breast, roasted ears of corn, and black beans - yum! He had even been mindful of my lactose intolerance and bought "Better Than Sour Cream Sour Cream" for the beans! And the chicken... ooh la la! So very flavorful! It really reminded me of Chicken Adobo, a Phillippine dish that I haven't made in years.

I thought she was going to talk about cats.

While he was putting the finishing touches on the meal, he was telling me about Contessa the Cat's latest little trick. It seems that, for the past few mornings, she was awakening him about 5 AM by pressing her water-soaked forehead against his face. LOL!!!
Of course, this was very recent behavior, and from a cat that had an aversion to baths, so why was she doing this?
He did not know.
So, we dined and had a little wine and set about getting settled in for the second of a three-part French film series. A mini-Francophone film fest, sil vous plai!

[shifting in the seat] This may go on a while...

At least I remembered my glasses this time! When we had watched the first film of the trio, I had known it was French... but had not realized that there would be subtitles to read on a small screen. THAT had been interesting to try to decipher! Especially as there waa chatting and cat petting occurring, too.
Well, the same was true this time, as well: English subtitles in a French film whilst petting the dear Contessa and tossing topics with the bfe. But this time I could read the subtitles. Definitely made it easier to follow the plot!

[more shifting in the seat] You guess she is ever going to get to the cat whispering? Like, tonight??

So, there I was watching the movie on the couch. This time, Contessa stayed right with me the whole time. Well,not quite. Every so often she would go get a drink from the new little water fountain the cats had, then she would return for me to pet her. Return with her forehead sodden with water. Every time.
Almost like she was waiting for me to "get it."
She must have the patience of Job, but that great patience was finally rewarded.
I suggested to the bfe that Contessa might be having a depth perception problem and was not able to distinguish the waterfall from the white backboard. Perhaps he should paint it a different color? Maybe put some racing stripes on it to help her perceive it?
Or maybe he should just give the kitty her water dish instead of making her 14-year-old self learn a new trick just to drink water????
At which he jumped up and fetched her red ceramic water bowl from the dish rack, filled it, and placed it on the kitchen floor in its usual spot.
While she watched intently.
Mission accomplished.
She truly IS a most intelligent blue tortoise cat.
Beautiful, too, in her asymmetrical markings and peach lightning bolt.


Nice story. Smart cat, too. Okay, let's go before she starts up again.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The Universe via tut.ccsend.com

Apr 14

to me

You don't have to do "it" right, Faustina, you just have to try to do it right.

And then you will have done it right.

Works for me,
The Universe