Thursday, April 10, 2014

pulling it out by the roots



I was in a foul mood when my first niece arrived.
I had gone to Weight Watchers to find I had gained several pounds.
Not good. I was plenty upset about it.
My plan had been to retreat home and sulk.
No sooner did I arrive home than she pulled in the driveway.
Determined to cut short her stay, I met her outside.
We talked out there for about thirty minutes, standing by her vehicle.
No sign that she would soon be leaving.
Aggravated at having my pity party interrupted, I started pulling weeds. You know, channel some of that destructive urge into something positive.
And you know what?
She began pulling up dandelions with me, following my lead, grabbing their leaves together near the base and hoisting them, roots and all, out of the ground.
Sometimes, the leaves would tear off.
Sometimes, the long taproot would break in half.
Every broken piece oozed white, milky, sticky blood.
All the while, we talked about kids and school and "Divergent".
We did this for almost three hours.
And you know what?
My funk lifted.
I never did talk to her about the Weight Watchers meeting.
I just didn't feel like dragging that out there.
And you know what?
She allowed me to leave it out.
She knows I will talk about it when I'm ready to do so.
She is generous enough to wait me out.

I do so love that girl.
Coincidence that she came by?
You're kidding, right?
We both know she was on a mission from my mother.

No comments: