Thursday, April 24, 2014

dancing to the Modern West



earlier today, at 4:45 PM, after checking in to the hotel in Sylva:
me: Woohoo!!! I am in the mountains of North Carolina and will soon be dancing with Kevin Costner!!!
outlaw Bunny: I am officially green with envy!!! :-)
me: I wish I could have seen him in Charleston last night, too. Yowzah!
outlaw Schaal: Wow! Put pictures on fb!!
me: You know i will!! :-)
Stephanie: Lol! I'm jealous!! :-)
me: I wish you were here! Love you, Stephanie!
Stephanie: Me too :) I love you!!
Chris: Haha!! Whooo hooo!! Awesome..! I dunno if that is some sort of reference I was supposed to catch,,, and didn't... orrr You really ARE going to be around Kevin Costner.
me: Yes!! In Franklin NC in thirty minutes!

And there I am, up front for the wake-up call rally of "Hey Man"! I was singing along, word for word, adding a few little flourishes of pantomime, as I knew full well that there would be no chance the band could hear me - but I wanted to make damned sure they knew I was well-versed in their songs. Well, those from "Untold Truths", for sure.
"To my own heart I have tried to be true/ hey, man, what about you?"
I've been listening to that album for at least five years. How can I be so sure that it's been that long? Well, Sam Johnson gave me this first cd of the western rock tunes of Kevin Costner & Modern West. I had expressed an interest in knowing what type of music they played and Sam just handed me the cd one day, either late in 2008 or early in 2009 (before his death in April). I found I really enjoy these ballads, especially when I'm on long drives - easy to sing along with, constantly changing tempos, poetic turns of phrase.
Good stuff.

Here Kevin Costner is, having come across the stage to stand in front of me and kick up his heels! I guess that he wanted to dance with me, since I had been THE girl dancing to their music all night!
THE girl? Yep! I was the only one dancing, and I did so for the whole 2 1/2 hours of the show! I had made sure I caught his eye when I came up to take that first picture, then I stood in the right-hand aisle, wearing my blue-striped white shirt, and danced, danced, danced! And the boys in the band watched me, too.
ALL of the boys in the band.
Good stuff, all the way around.

2 comments:

Chris Kopek said...

04-24-14

Wow.. you ARE dancing with him... verrrry niiice

Anonymous said...

The Universe via tut.ccsend.com

Apr 25 (12 days ago)

to me

No matter what happens or doesn't happen this weekend, Faustina, this entire week will already be looked back upon with the greatest fondness because of the miracles you've already performed, which will become more and more evident as time passes.

That's how I see it now,
The Universe