Saturday, December 27, 2014

Paul and Cathy go to Forsyth Park!


Of course Forsyth Park is on my list! Jeff and I lived by it for the first few years of our marriage, in his modified studio apartment in the basement of one of the Park Avenue houses.
That lovely fountain? It's one of my favorite places to photograph. I just love how the water and the sunlight play together!
We had breakfast at my house, then bopped onto Veterans Parkway and out to the school to enjoy the arboretum. Right? Armstrong State University is not only my alma mater, but also where I have taught for the last twenty years. Definitely had to take the visitors there!
Also, I love strolling the grounds. So many trees and plants from all over the world! Cathy especially wanted to see the ginger garden, which is right beside the Learning Commons, where I do the tutoring ("Office Hours") of my students.
We also walked around the International Garden and I pointed out the new trees on campus, planted by President Linda Bleicken. I've attended those planting ceremonies - nice occasions, they were!
Afterward, Paul was ready for more coffee. Down to the Sentient Bean we zipped, thanks to the Truman Parkway! With java in hand, we took a leisurely walk in Forsyth Park to the fountain. There, we sat and enjoyed the sunshine and a bit of people-watching and chatting.
Ah... such a nice day, today! So good to have sunshine again!
By this time, we were getting a bit hungry.
"How about shrimp burgers, y'all?"
"Sure!" was their reply.
Off to Fannie's On The Beach we went! Along the way, I talked about the palm trees on Victory Drive and my love of the salt marshes and the relative newness of the pier at Tybee Beach.
I pointed out The Sugar Shack and told them about trips there on hot summer days as a kid.
We talked about the chicken fingers and spuds at Spanky's, another longtime local favorite.
Then, we entered Fannie's and had one of the best waitresses ever! She made sure we had a supply of crayons to draw on the table cover while we waited for the fried pickle chips - and they were so good! Then came the shrimp burgers and we were good to go!
After that, we took a brief walk to the pier. But the sun was setting and the breeze was quite chilly, so back to Savannah with us!
We made a brief stop at the neighborhood Food Lion, for snacks, cream for Paul's coffee, bread, and fruit. we arrived home just in time for two episodes of - wait for it! - my favorite show, "The Big Bang Theory"!!! What fabulous timing! If we had tried to plan that, you know it wouldn't have happened!
So, we watched both half-hour episodes, with me providing sidebar information about the characters, previous episodes, special quirks... you know, all that nerdy trivia that fans know!
Then, you know what we did??? We played "The Big Bang Theory Trivia" game that I had won at Dave & Buster's! I've had the game since June, but I had not yet played it. Paul and Cathy were psyched to give it a try, so I contacted Joe (he was here in Savannah, too!) and he joined us. Nice!
And what fun we had! We even made up a new rule for the game: The Schrödinger Card. It's based on the premise of Schrödinger's Cat, which has been featured on multiple occasions on the television show.
Here's how our rule works.
After a person has accumulated four different character cards, the next character card cannot be revealed, but must be laid face-down by the other person's accumulated cards. Play continues until everyone has four character cards showing and one Schrödinger Card. At that point, all players reveal their Schrödinger Card. If it completes the requirement for winning the game (i.e., five different character cards), then that person wins!
I wish I could take credit for devising the rule, but I think Paul was the one who did. He is also the one who winner of that first-ever game of TBBT Trivia.
Okay, it's very late! We all stayed up talking until just a little while ago, so to bed I go!
More "Adventures of Paul and Cathy in Savannah" tomorrow!
I mean, later today!
(smile)

No comments: