Saturday, April 9, 2016

the circus and bollywood!


Another double shift for the Savannah Music Festival!
Another double-bill at the North Garden of the Ships of The Sea Museum!
Another gloriously blue-sky day!
What a fine way to close out the festivities!
And the two bands?
Fabulously lively, with lots of brass...
and I don't mean just their instruments!
(wink and a smile!)

I love this photo!
It's only about half of the guys in Fanfara Ciocârlia, but it was definitely the louder half! Such a range in ages and body types and instruments - a smorgasbord for the senses!
Balkan Brass they were, in every sense of the phrase!
Bold and witty and and lively and loud...
and a bit too much for the mostly timid afternoon crowd.
But not for me!
I loved that crazy-hyper Gypsy circus fairgrounds music!
I was the Green Door Wench for Frances and I was ready to shake my groove thang, you hear?
I'm glad I did, too!
A young woman and her mom joined me, than some other lasses joined us on the opposite side of the dance area.
(No worries. Management wised up and removed the first five rows of chairs before the evening show began. Dance, dance, my jollies!)

Red Baraat had taken notes from the wings.
With their first song, they exhorted the crowd to stand and dance, knowing that most would remain dancing for the full set.
Smart young men from Brooklyn!

We were graced with Bollywood show tunes!
Indian-tinged rock and jazz and hipster!
Of course I danced!
Of course the two who had danced with me before danced!
But so did so many others!
What a marvelous sight!!!

All too soon the sousaphone was laid to rest on the verdant green,
to await its revival for the night crowd.
It must have had very sweet dreams!
From my position as Gate Wench again for the second half of my shift, I could hear its voice echoing into the stratosphere!
Well, perhaps I exaggerate...
but I think not.
All of the brass instruments seemed to have caught their second wind!
When I was able to near the stage for the Romanian act, dancers surrounded the stage and were everywhere!
The crowd never tired, they danced and danced, possessed by the beats!
Oh, what a night!
Such an amazing end for this international feast of a festival!
Thanks for allowing me to be a volunteer again!

No comments: