Tuesday, April 5, 2016

no banjo deficiency on this nice carpet!


What a fabulous night this has been!
The house manager, Frances, told me she was so glad to see my name on the list! She knew she could count on me to keep things going smoothly!
I worked as left aisle usher with a Lucas buddy (Cindy), as well as a fellow from Gulf Stream (Chris). Steve, the 10-year-SMF-guy, worked the left balcony stair.
I didn't know anything about the Dave Rawlings Machine when I signed up for this gig, but my thanks to the Savannah Music Festival for allowing me this chance to learn!
Such great song lyrics! As you know, I have poetry in my heart and absolutely love a good phrase!
"I want to go back in time to when you were mine" from "Wayside" has such a wistful cast, especially with the harmonica!
"Said the soothsayer to the candy cane, let me try you again and see if you taste the same" was laugh-out-loud fun in "Sweet Tooth"!
Their advice to the lovelorn? "Don't go chasing wild ponies, they're half crazy and they run" is a line straight out of "Short-Haired Woman Blues". Good advice for sure! Very nice rhythm line, too.
(smile)
Then there were the songs which were funny through and through. "Stewball", about a race horse with a name to bet against! "Keep It Clean", with its laundry list of items for good love! "It's Too Easy", about the fun of just being good!
And on "days the rain would fall your way", remember that "To Be Young (Is To Be Sad, Is To Be High)". Then, you might want to hear the "Bells Of Harlem" after some time has passed.
One of my favorites, though, had a dark cast to it. "Get back to body snatching", it repeatedly said - incredible and spooky song!!
So many songs they did! Such a great variety!
And they loved the carpet on the stage! Apparently, they like a "living room" feel to a stage and had requested a rug. Gillian said it was the nicest rug they ever had!
Hooray for Savannah!
In return, the band gave us three encores!
First was "I want to do right, but not right now", or something like that.
(smile)
That was followed by a totally a capella "Go To Sleep You Little Baby" from "O Brother Where Art Thou" - wow! Wow!!!
Then, they ran back on stage one more time! This time it was "The Weight" to "put the load on Fannie". Woohoo, y'all!!!
What a night!
But that wasn't all, folks!
Rob and Lindsay were there, too!
As I mentioned earlier, I was working left usher. The show was about to start and I had moved to the outside of the left door. They had tickets to balcony left and were running late, so I saw them as they passed by and we all managed a quick hi. Then, Rob came down during intermission, looking for... me!!! Very nice! I happened to spot him and caught his eye over in the right aisle. He came over and we spent the whole intermission catching up, just me and him. I also shared with him about the Hot Sardines' French version of "I Wanna Be Like You" and that it had made me think of Lindsay.
How very nice for him to visit with me!
i thank You, God, for having me in the right place at the right time!

No comments: