Friday, April 1, 2016

burn my biscuits brown!


Such an odd light configuration for the noon30 today!
Do you see bunny ears all over the place?
Good! I thought it might have just been me!
(smile)
I had lucked into this concert by the Brianna Thomas Quartet, as they needed help at the last minute and I was able to answer the call. Hooray!
I expected some old-timey music and I got it! She also treated us to two sing-alongs and two original songs by her!!! And, as if that weren't enough, she sang for another thirty minutes for free! Seriously, what a treat from this young woman!
"Young" is definitely the operative word. Like the folks in the Hot Sardines, she's a twenty-something in love with the music of her great-grandparents. How about that?! Thanks to them, and others of their ilk, that music will continue to live!
With her smooth voice and scat-tastic riffs, Brianna held us in the palm of her hand in the intimate setting of the Charles Morris Center. Perfect for her style!
"Day Dream" with me, please, "In A Mellow Tone", to some Duke Ellington tunes.
Then ride Jobim's "Wave" over to "Rooms Full Of Love" in my house, singing with me, of course!
(smile!)
There followed two originals of love lost and soul searched. In "I Should Have Known", she berates herself for not recognizing her lover was a cad. Then, in "How Much Forgiveness", she tries to determine the depth of the well of forgiveness in her heart. Very good pieces!
"Bye Bye Blackbird" was done at a slower pace than usual, followed by "Never Dreamed You'd Leave In Summer", one that was new to me, surprisingly. After all, Stevie Wonder did it back in the early 1970's, so I should have heard it a time or two.
Ah, "Why Didn't You Stay"?
Well, I don't want any of your charcoal if you can't burn my biscuits brown!
Hahahaha! haha!
I sure wish I knew the title of that last one!
You better believe I'd sing that one and "Kitchen Man" at my next karaoke adventure! What a perfect pairing that would be!

No comments: