Friday, April 8, 2016

up above my head i hear music!


How was it that these two disparate bands were paired together?
Serendipity, my dears.
For each group, when they were contacted with the dates of the music festival, April 8th was the date that worked for them.
Rather than have to decide which group to invite, the powers that be invited both to play in Savannah.
What a fabulous bonus for us!
Especially as they were each playing twice on this day!

Mokoomba
was first to play for each set.
These young guys were fabulous!
I don't think
I stopped dancing even once!
They were certainly in constant motion, too.


They even had several synchronized steps thrown in for good measure!
All they played were great dance tunes, but I did not catch any of the names of the songs, sadly.
Try to catch them before they return to Zimbabwe!
Your feet will thank you!

Rhiannon Giddens
and her ensemble were the closers for both the afternoon and evening.
She started with "a country set" trio:
1 - a Bob Dylan poem, "Spanish Mary";
2 - a Dolly Parton song, "Don't Let It Trouble Your Mind";
3 - Patsy Cline's "She's Got You" - awesome!
I especially loved that she liked to do things in threes!
Then she brook out the bluegrass with "Louisiana Man" and Odette's 1960's "Water Boy".

Woohoo! What a range that woman has!
And she was just warming up for the late 1800's-inspired songs on her 1858 replica banjo.
"I'll Wait for You in Tennessee", her very own song she sang, as well as an old Scottish air, "Donalee".
The crowd really good and loose, though, when the gospel tunes pealed!
"Up Above My Head I Hear Music In The Air"! Riproaringly good, especially when done as a sing-along in the last show of the evening!

How do I know about who did what and which sets?
Because I was there for all of it!
I had signed up for a double shift, partly because it was open, but also because I wanted to hear as many artists as possible at the Savannah Music Festival.
Remember, I signed on for shifts almost a week late, so many events were already filled with volunteer hands.
Lainie was the house manager tonight.
She assigned me to bathroom director for the first show.
Rats, I thought.
Not really the position I would have preferred to work.
Good that I was there!
If not, I would not have known the bfe was in the house. I saw him when he came by to release some beer and that was a great surprise for both of us! If I had not been working right there (he'll get the inside joke!), then I would not have gotten so many hugs from him! He just happened to be there with Erica Cooper because she was such a huge fan of Rhiannon (formerly of the Carolina Chocolate Drops).
How very fortunate for him and me!
i thank You, God!

Later, I volunteered to work as the Gate Wench on the garden gate for second show. That's the entrance for the VIP crowd, but it's rather removed from the stage, so only the music can be heard.
And guess what? I got a big hug from Frances when her group came in! So good to see her!
Gate Wench duties were done about the time that Mokoomba was just finishng their evening set. Lainie let me go get dinner at Carlito's! How very nice! I had promised her I would only be gone about 30 to 40 minutes and would return to help close out the venue.
And I did! I was back in plenty of time to hear "Water Boy" again! Lots more dancing at the top of the stairs!

Then, I got to say hi to Ruth and Tis on their way out! I was standing next to an usher they knew - also named Ruth - so they had slowed to tell her goodbye.
Right place, right time!
I even found a penny during the second cleanup!
(smile!)

No comments: