Tuesday, April 26, 2016

guts and toes and strings with the bfe


Trust me - it's not nearly as grisly as it sounds!
I was going to miss the physicist's Science On Tap lecture, as it's scheduled for the same exact time as my lecture tomorrow night.
The same exact time.
(It does seem the folks in charge of the College of Science and Technology would be aware of evening class times and at least stagger the talk times or the talk days. But, no. The science talks to the community downtown were only scheduled for Wednesdays at 6 PM.
Each and every one of them, all school year.)
Tonight, I got a special preview of the talk!
How did that come to be?
Well, I had finally brunched with him and Lika on Sunday. Even in my neck of the woods, too! We dined at Sunnyside Up and chatted about all manner of things. And I had voiced my dismay that I would not be able to hear his talk because I still had one last class that night.
Not to despair, he assured me! Why not meet on Tuesday and I could give him my recommendations and then we could go have dinner?
Of course I gladly obliged!
(smile)
This isn't the first time he's asked me to preview a talk for the general populace. I'm actually a good audience for such things. I can critique the slides and let him know of ones that are too busy or need clarification or are especially good.
I can hardly critique the physics. I catch bits and pieces, but I last had a physics course thirty years ago. Not that I would say that to him, of course. I try not to emphasize the age difference when possible.
Let's see, where was I?
Oh, yes, having a preview of his talk.
Catchy title he had for it, too!
"GUTS and TOES and the Strings that Connect Them: The Grand Unified Theory"
Apparently, he's had that title mulling around for a while, but this is the first time he's worked up a talk to support it. LOL!
So, in physics jargon, the acronyms are:
Grand Unified Theories
Theory Of Everything s

Cute, right?
As I've said before, he's quite the entertainer!
So, I got to hear the talk after all - wonderful!
I even pointed out a few changes he could make to the slides, changes to help emphasize the important features, changes to eradicate distractions.
After all, the primary focus during a talk should be on the speaker, n'est-ce pas?
He certainly agreed with that!

We dined at a barbeque joint we had tried to hit once before. At that time, it had been closed.
Not so on this Tuesday! Fabulous ribs! There were only four of them, but they were so large that I took two home with me! Excellent collard greens, too, shredded so they could cook faster and soak up more pot liquor - I'm going to try to remember that trick. Yum!

I was almost home, too, after dropping him off. But I was called by a damsel in distress, so to her rescue I rode. Christina was stranded and her new vehicle wouldn't start. A nearby auto mechanic came to help and he couldn't get the car to start, either.
Now, it's two hours since I responded to her call. I took her home, but made sure she knew I was not getting up early to fetch her back to her car in the morning. The guy she bought the car from is meeting her to try to figure out what is wrong.
Me?
In the morning, Ill be riding to the rescue of her Papa.
To bed I go soon enough.

1 comment:

faustina said...

Just a little update, y'all!
April 28, 2016:

Joshua W : Great talk from Jeff Secrest at Science on Tap! You really brought back some memories of my physics courses and "tied" up some loose ends. Ha, get it? Because of string theory? Bad joke. Great work buddy!

Ellen W : Great to see you, Jeff! Enjoyed it!

Derrick B : Awesome to hear about you doing this, Jeff. Erica told me that you were giving a lecture on the grand unified theory. I was bummed I'm in Texas. Did you have a good turn out at least?

Jeff Secrest: Hey Derrick, it was a good turn out of profs, srudents, and folks from the community. I was very pleased!

Still wish I could have been there, too!