Saturday, April 2, 2016

night songs and malian bluegrass


Such an international buffet tonight at the Charles Morris Center!
My thanks to the Savannah Music Festival for broadening my horizons once again!

Robert Sadin's "Night Songs" concert featured a collection of musicians from around the globe! The ensemble included trumpeter Etienne Charles (Trinidad), bassist Ira Coleman (Sweden), percussion wizard Cyro Baptista (Brazil), and clarinetist Patrick Messina (France). The USA was represented in the sextet by two from New York City: violinist Mark Feldman and cellist Erik Friedlander.
My favorite was the percussionist! So inventive!
The pieces arranged by the world-renowned conductor were so romantic and lovely! "Siciliano"! "Rosa"! "Trance"! "Mysteriosa"! A fabulous Romanian wedding song!
I danced and danced!

Kassé Mady Diabaté, a 60-year-old singer, hailed from the Republic of Mali, located in West Africa. His voice - and dancing! - was accompanied by the talents of kora master Ballaké Sissoko, ngoni player Badjé Tounkara, and balaphon great Lansiné Kouyaté.
When we had arrived earlier, some were doubtful that this music was danceable by Western feet... but I sure did prove them wrong! LeeAnn even came up to me afterward to admit I was right!
(smile!)
As I always say,
all you need is a beat
to sway those hips
and move those feet!

No comments: