Saturday, December 3, 2016

a satisfying surfeit of shakespeare!

In less than a month, I've enjoyed four - that's right, I said four theatrical productions based on the Bard's works!

The first was a Black Box play with the Armstrong Masquers on November 10. Titled "Desdemona: A Tale Of A Handkerchief", it was performed as scenes in a movie, with periodic breaks to reset the scene. Those breaks were needed to break the tension of the tightly-wound emotions in this tale of deceit and betrayal and misunderstanding. I think this insight into Othello's wife, among others, was a solid - and chilling - psychological study which I spoke of at length earlier.

The very next night found me at Savannah Shakes' production of "Henry V", held at Muse Arts Warehouse. That location allowed plenty of space for this bloody romp, this time set in the 1960's, in the jungles of Vietnam. At first glance, it might seem that having William Shakespeare's words flowing out of actors clad in modern combat gear and carrying M-16's would be out of place. However, that was certainly not the case! That just proves the timelessness of the words of that 16th century craftsman. Bravo!

December 1st found me back on the Armstrong campus, this time at Jenkins Hall... and not alone! Kevin wanted to treat his gracious tutor to a play and I had been the contact person about such things. Of course I had steered him to the Armstrong Masquers! After all, once upon a time, Cedric Stratton had trod upon this very stage!
Oh, but wait! I already talked about our trip to see "The Taming Of The Shrew"! Okay, let's proceed to the fourth, and last entry about Shakespeare, shall we?
(smile)

It was just last night. The play was performed by the Island Methodist Players, which included my friends Bonnie and Don from Philo Cafe and Drinking Liberally. Wilmington Island UMC provided the stage for the comedy "I Hate Hamlet", by Paul Rudnick.
Although the play does not directly concern the Bard's words, it does concern one of his most famous characters. The play is built on two questions. First, what happens when a talentless, but famous, television actor gets cast in one of the most famous roles for the Shakespeare in the Park in New York City? Then, what if that actor is now living in the apartment once inhabited by John Barrymore, a renowned portrayer of the famous Dane? Now, throw in a realtor who also holds seances...see where this is going?
I absolutely loved it, of course!
(smile!)
How blessed we are to have so much talent in this city!

2 comments:

faustina said...

You are certainly welcome to quote, bearing in mind that my work is copyrighted. So be sure to use citations and refer readers back to the original work here!
Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hello there I am so thrilled I found your web site, I really found you by accident, while I
was researching on Digg for something else, Regardless I am here
now and would just like to say many thanks for a fantastic post and a all round enjoyable blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time to read through it all at the moment but I
have bookmarked it and also added in your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be
back to read much more, Please do keep up the fantastic
jo.