Monday, December 12, 2016

where never is heard a discouraging word


It's Finals Week.
Why is it called that?
Because now is when students finally reach out to desperately clutch at slipping grades.

My students are well aware of my policy about "extra credit" assignments.
I don't believe in offering them.
Once upon a time, early in my teaching, I did.
That was a definite learning experience.
They are much more work for me, as I have to create them, determine how they fit into an already established gradebook, and then I have to grade them...for everyone who wants to participate.
That's right: the "extra credit" must be offered to everyone, not just the one student.
If not, then favoritism rears its ugly little head and that is not good.

Nonetheless, I still have last-effort requests for "extra credit".

I want to share today's missives, as they were especially poignant for me.

*****
*****
Hey. Good morning, Mrs.Smith. Do you mind if I come in your office today and talk with you if you are free?

*****
M,
You are welcome to make an appointment to see your Lab Final by midterm of Spring semester.
I have had my hand surgery and will not return to campus this term.

*****
Yesmam, I hope everything is ok with you. I just want to say thank you for everything for helping me, sticking with me through out the semester. I know I didn't do my best and I apologize. I know I could have done better, I'm just going through a lot of personal things. It's a lot of pressure on me to do good because I'm the only one in my family that's in college doing something positive with my life. I just ask you if my grade comes up short a few points of me failing the class could you please find it in your heart to help me out. I know you said there's nothing I can do for extra points but if it's anything please let me know I'll do it.

*****
M,
You earned a "D" for Lab.
I certainly understand the stress of being the only one in the family going to college. To this day, I am still the only one of four siblings to go to college. The good thing is several of my nieces and nephews have now also successfully completed advanced degrees!
So, you keep trying.
Check with the staff on campus for guidance on study habits and preparation and time management.
You can do it - all it takes is practice of good habits.
Don't allow one bad grade, or one bad semester, to overshadow your future.

*****
Yesmam, I will. I truly want to say thank you for that! Needed that, Mrs.Smith, you have a great rest of the day!

*****
*****

Again, it's times like these that reaffirm my vocation.

No comments: