Saturday, December 24, 2016

(w)rap session!



It's totally his fault that I'm wrapping presents this late at night.
Totally.
(smile)
Actually, I'm glad of his intervention, random though it may have been.
Or perhaps Mother Pat and Mama had a hand in this?
There are no coincidences, after all, and timing truly is everything!

"Whatever are you nattering about?"

The fact that my living room and dining room are strewn with giftwrap bought years ago and bags dragged from the "gift closet" full of items meant for birthday presents earlier this year...

"What did the ex want with any of that???"

Oh, not a thing.
Truly.
When he had come by this morning from the toy store, he brought a three-pack of wrapping paper as well as the toys for his grandson. We were to meet for lunch and he had texted that he was shopping. I replied that I was "hanging at home, willing to wrap presents."
He took me up on the offer, too!
LOL!

"My goodness! How much time did that take up?"

Hey, it was time very nicely spent!
We were able to chat and catch up on family doings and I was able to let out some creativity that I have been missing out on this season.
Do you know that I have not sent out the first Christmas card this year?
Not a single one!
Nor did I have the family gathering, as I the hand surgery has made such an activity a bit beyond my grasp at this time. (Get it? LOL!)
My first niece had said that she would have the gathering at her house, but she has been far too occupied with canoodling in Carolina to do any such thing.

"Funny word - canoodling - hahaha!"

Yes, it is. It figures that German is listed as part of its origin, as the man she has been canoodling (in the Swedish sense) for most of this year is also German.

"O-kay. Back to happy thoughts...?"

Most def!
You know, I haven't been wrapping gifts this year. I've been using gift bags and tissue paper instead. Handling paper was just too painful for my fingertips.
And you know what?
My fingers - on both hands! - were just fine today! Not once did they pain me or hamper my creativity with the wraps or the curling ribbon or the tape!
In fact, I had been so rapt with our rapping whilst wrapping that I didn't even notice the lack of pain!

"Punny. Very punny..."

Thanks!
I know I was reaching there, but I just HAD to!
(smile)
We tried to dine at Sweet Potatoes, but they were closed, so we went to Carey Hilliard's instead. I even came away with shrimp salad and fries for later!
Then he was off to see his daughter and I was off to catch "The Edge of Seventeen" before it left town. (i thank God i never had to raise teenagers.)
As I was rushing to the special screening of "It's A Wonderful Life" at the Regal, that's when I realized the thing about my hands.

"The thing about your hands?"

You know: that they hadn't hurt while I was wrapping those gifts and handling that paper and tape and ribbon.
What joy!
And now, here I am, madly wrapping presents for several of my great-nieces and great-nephews, hoping I will be able to personally deliver the gifts tomorrow.
Merry Christmas Eve!

No comments: