Tuesday, December 27, 2016

and the hits keep comin'


When the ex texted to me that George Michael had died on Christmas Day, I was in shock.
The man was only a year older than Jeff.
I had immediately flashed back in my mind to February, when I had seen "Deadpool", in which the music of WHAM! had been featured. In particular, the song "Careless Whisper", written by George Michael (and released when he was still part of the English duo), recurs as a theme. No doubt that was also the inspiration behind the film's working title, which was the same as that of the Michael-Ridgeley group.
How could it be that this talented 53-year-old Brit be dead?
It seriously boggled my mind.
Then, this afternoon, las tres amigas, plus one, went to the new musical, "La La Land". We were all quite excited to see this period piece, with its promise of singing and dancing and romance! Perfect for the holidays, right?
Then came the scene where the girl is trying to escape the advances of a blowhard at a party her friends dragged her to. Seeing the keyboardist, who has just retrieved his car keys from the valet box, she yells, "Hey, George Michael! Would you get my keys too?"
I could swear a hush fell over the packed cinema room.
"Too soon", I thought but did not say.
I doubt I was the only one who did.
Then I recalled that this movie was part of the Savannah Film Festival this year.
It was screened at the Trustees on October 23rd.
So, I looked up when the filming was done - summer of 2015.
No one wold have had a clue that George Michael would have died by the time it opened nationwide.
I do have to wonder, now, if it might be edited in the near future, to delete his name and the awkwardness of the scene.

Afterward, I begged off from the group.
"Gotta go buy groceries."
That was certainly the truth, but ... well, here's the thing: this is Tuesday.
Tuesday.
I'm supposed to have plans on Tuesdays...
though I suspect last week marked the end of that run.
Sigh.
So, when I left the trio, I was a little bummed out about that.
And I was a little more bummed out from that casual reference in the movie to the dead singer-songwriter.
I had not yet truly processed his death and the glib line felt raw.
Better that I should simply go home and settle in, maybe check out chemistry.com some more, see if I could scare up a date or two for Meatloafgrrrl...
and as I'm logging into comcast to my email account, the headline snags my attention...
Star Wars' Carrie Fisher Dead At 60
I felt numb.
I dashed over to the only news source I trust: the BBC.
They confirmed the news.
Carrie Fisher, the woman I had met in 1977 as Princess Leia, head of the rebel alliance to defeat Darth Vader, had died of complications from a heart attack.
She was only two years older than me.
I sat right here and sobbed like a child.
Tuna chowder for dinner has helped salve my soul, but I feel as though I have lost a member of my family...
especially as I had just seen her looking daisy-fresh on the silver screen last Tuesday...

No comments: