Sunday, December 18, 2016

PFS mystery Christmas at the 'Bean



Thank you, Jim Reed and the Psychotronic Film Society of Savannah!
I'm so glad Jim had sent me a text message invite to this special "holiday mystery" gathering!
What a fabulous Christmas gift to all of the Wednesday night regulars - and to the irregulars, too!
I count myself in that latter category, of course.
(smile)
This screening was a bit irregular, too - it was on a Sunday!
I so enjoyed "Fitzwilly" tonight at the Sentient Bean! With a marvelous scene at Christmastime at Gimbel's, the huge department store, this delightful caper was just what I needed! Sitting beside Ken and his calming presence, and surrounded by folks I knew, like Joe and Lois of New Jersey, newlyweds Bonnie Blue and Don, the vivacious Carolyn and once-huggable Hai and newly-Jewish Teri, and, yes, even in the company of ex-Pepper Jack...LOL!
I'm glad I'll see most of them again on Wednesday.
Hooray for winter break!

The Dick Van Dyke and Barbara Feldon romantic comedy from 1967 was just what I needed, too.
It had the right ending.
Not that its happy ending is something I require of a movie.
I saw "Allied" a few days ago with Barbara Boo. That beautiful romantic film, set during WWII, certainly did not have a happy ending. However, what it did have was an appropriate, though unexpected, conclusion. The bfe would have greatly enjoyed it; my first niece would not have.
I found the ending very satisfactory. Yes, even though I had to sit and cry for a few minutes afterward.
Since then, endings have not been as they should.
On Saturday evening, I attended a play at Muse Arts. It was a rather bittersweet event, as I had expected. This was the last time Collective Face would be performing in the space which they have called home since their first performances in 2010. The building has been bought and is destined to be razed, with housing to consume this area.
At the end of February, Muse Arts Warehouse will become a thing of the past, sadly.
So, where was I?
Oh, yes, attending the penultimate performance of the last play by Collective Face in this space I have so enjoyed for so many years.
The play was "Pygmalion", the century-old script by George Bernard Shaw. I knew it was the basis for the musical I so loved, "My Fair Lady", but was prepared for this production to not have any music. In fact, I rather enjoyed spotting the dialogue which would later be the themes f several of the songs. That was very nice and even felt like a bit of an inside joke for me and the actors here.
(smile)
But I did not like the ending.
Unlike the protagonist in the Greek myth, Shaw's cantankerous man of transformation did not win the hand of fair maiden.
Say what?
That truly took me by surprise.
It was not what I had expected at all.
That ending was not satisfactory for a deeper reason than I could have voiced at the time.
You see, Mark played Professor Higgins.
He should have "got the girl" in the play, as real life has dealt him quite a different hand.
I did not even hang around after to speak with the cast.
Instead, I went straight home.
Fortunately, the cable was offering "The Nightmare Before Christmas" for free viewing... that soon had me right as rain.

This afternoon, I went to "Collateral Beauty" with Boo. I had known it was about dealing with grief and expected it to be excellent. After all, Will Smith is in it and I have found him to have an incredible knack at selecting his roles.
I may have to re-think that blind devotion.
It isn't that the movie was bad. Au contraire!
The movie was excellent... until the last three minutes. Then, it totally jumped the rails and tacked on some utterly unnecessary - and fake-feeling - scenes. It had the perfect ending right at hand... then went on to ruin it.
It's as if they had no understanding of angels after all.

i thank You, God, for the antics of an old-fashioned romantic comedy, and the company of good friends, to wash those two bad tastes our of my system.
Timing, my dears, timing to the rescue of my psyche...
plus, a cheerful holiday gathering!
And tomorrow, I see the docs in Charleston for my post-op visit...

1 comment:

faustina said...

I guess this one is not so psychotronic after all!
I just saw it on ME tv! Yeah!