Sunday, August 17, 2014

batter up!



Summer must be drawing to a close.

Proof positive?

This morning,
we Season Ticket Holders
gathered at the ballpark
for Batting Practice
with the Savannah Sand Gnats,
the 2013 SAL Champions.

Yep, one last hurrah for us and the boys of summer!

Some folks brought their gloves.
Some brought their own bats.
I brought my sweet, silly self!

Hey, I'm no ball player! Not even close!
(smile)
That poor pitcher had to throw several balls before my Louisville Slugger actually made contact. Even so, the ball skittered off the bat and onto the righthand rim of the batting cage, sending its foul tip over toward the first base fence.
But I was thrilled! Contact!!!
Then he threw several more pitches to me.
Swoosh! Swoosh!! SWOOSH!!!
Then, lo and behold, I managed to tap one over the pitcher's head!!!
Woohoo!
Elation!!!
And with that, I was done.
D. O. N. E.
Done!
Best to go out on a high note, n'est-ce pas?
(Think "pop fly" and you'll get it...)

Funny, right?
hahahahaa!!!

We were then treated to a wonderful game,
enjoying the breeze
from the overhead fans
while the boys
sweated it out
on the field,
in that hot sun.
Honestly, I don't know
how the umpires could bear it,
out in that sun for the entire game.
At least the Gnats and the Drive were able to take refuge in the shade of the dugouts when they were not on the field.

And, when all was
said and done,
the Sand Gnats emerged
victorious!
Woohoo!
Little kids lined up
at the third base gate
were eager to take the field,
then, and run those same bases.
Me?
I was off to a film festival!

5 comments:

Jim Casey said...

(from fb)

How did you do at BP?
August 18 at 11:16am

- me! said...

(from fb)

I hit one that contacted the top of the batting cage and veered off to the right as a foul. Then, after missing several more, I tapped one over the pitcher's head! "I'm done!" I told him! Go out on a high note!
August 18 at 2:04pm

Jim Casey said...

(from fb)

Were any players or coaches there offering instruction, or were you on your own? And I agree, definitely quit after a good hit.
August 18 at 2:05pm

- me! said...

(from fb)

There were plenty of sources for instruction, but I was just there to have fun... and I certainly did!
August 18 at 2:27pm

Jim Casey said...

(from fb)

That's what counts.
August 18 at 2:28pm