Saturday, August 9, 2014

sometimes the wrong train will get you to the right station


(My thanks to this site for the above photograph.)

This is going to be more fun with movie quotes, so buckle up!
As before, I've pulled some random quotes from films viewed this week. It's up to YOU to match them with the correct films.
This time, however, the movies are not "kid" movies, per se. I certainly do not mean the films below cannot be viewed, and enjoyed, by children of various ages. No, not my meaning at all. I simply mean they are not part of my Summer Kid Film Festival.
Now that we have that straight, are you ready?
Get set!
GO!
.
.
.
The movie choices are:

4) On Tuesday, at Spotlight, I fell in love with the "Guardians of the Galaxy"! , No, I lie - I fell in love with Groot. He/she/it is truly a magical being!
5) Also on Tuesday, at the home of friends, I was treated to "Bowfinger", along with Byrd Cookie Company's Black and Whites.
6) On Wednesday, at the Sentient Bean, I was reminded, once more, of the many charms of George Hamilton, in his dual star-turn in "Zorro: The Gay Blade"!
7) Last night, at JAVAFlix Savannah, I saw "The Lunchbox" with ten other folks, discussing the film's themes afterward.
.
.
.

And here are the random quotes!

D) "Two bits, four bits, six bits, a peso!"

E) "I think sometimes we forget things if we have no one to tell them to."

F) "If I had a black light, this place would look like a Jackson Pollock painting."

G) "Would you be willing to cut your hair?"
.
.
.

Okay, come on, I'm sure you were able to guess at least two of them right away. "Am I right or am I right or am I right?" (Quoting Ned, the insurance guy.)
But, of course!
So, let's see the correct answers!

4) F
Star-Lord, aka Peter Quill, is practically bragging about his many conquests, in this sexual innuendo. (Gamora has just complained about the surface filth of his spaceship.)
Consider the painting shown above, titled "Convergence", with said black light...
Oh, my!!!

5) G
Bowfinger's question as he interviews Jif, a bit of a doofus, but easily a double for the star (Kip) he cannot afford for his film.
Much hilarity ensued!

6) D
Okay, a peso is a mexican unit of money, so...
That's right!
Bunny Wigglesworth prances through the verse, finishing with "All for Zorro, stand up and say so!"
Thoroughly delightful swashbuckler!

7) E
Mr. Fernandes, a widower and lunchbox recipient, is relating the tale of his auto rickshaw ride through his childhood neighborhood to Ila, a young mother and lunchbox preparer. It's quite a poignant moment in the film, but may easily be overlooked.
It clearly speaks of this man's trip back from the edge of the deep, dark sadness of the world, thanks to her accidental kindness to him.
I know, only too well, about that edge.
I am fortunate to have so many who love me, so many to hear my tales.
But I am also fortunate to have this beach.
Sometimes, I find it reassuring to be able to review those times when I stray too close to that drop off.
When I need to be reminded of who I am.
When a moment in a film strikes too closely at the patched black hole in my heart.
When the rationale behind a special trip needs to be recalled.
When a kick to my damaged heart is needed to restore it to life.
It's good to be able to know I've been there and made it through to the other side.

In case you were wondering, the title of this post is also a quote from "The Lunchbox". This quote actually makes three appearances in the film, twice by the same character, a young man being trained as Mr. Fernandes' replacement at work.
Quite a nice line, isn't it?

1 comment:

faustina said...

Hell's belles.
Irrfan Khan has died.
No, not from COVID.
It was the other C word - cancer - that killed him.
He was only 53 years old... the same age as my youngest brother.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52468343

Perhaps the Royal of Pooler will grace us with one of his films to honor his death.