Wednesday, August 13, 2014

my umbrella-ella-ella



Granted, it doesn't look like all that much.
One of the rib stanchions is missing.
The material is stained and faded in various places.
Several of the ribs frequently fly free of their moorings and must be coaxed back into place.
None of that matters.
The umbrella had belonged to Mama.
I already gave away the "good" one, the rainbow umbrella, to my first niece, when she was caring for baby Dominique Zoey and needed shelter.
This beat-up rain deflector is mine.

This afternoon, I saw "Guardians of the Galaxy" again, after convocation and lunch. During the luncheon, I sat with people I didn't know, as I did in Virginia. I did that twice, too, so I'm pretty pleased to be continuing that habit. Who knows? I might become more socialized yet!
Anyway, I had planned to see "I Origins" after the festivities at the school.
Sadly, the film had left midweek, no doubt due to poor attendance.
That was okay, though. It had been a week already since I last saw "GOTG", so I was ready for a repeat!
It was almost like seeing a new version of it.
You see, I had missed the intro, the part with him as a boy and his mother dying. I had come in when he was stomping in puddles and dancing in the cave.
This time, I appreciated the significance of his cassette player.
I appreciated his response to it being taken away, too.
His mom had made that mix tape for him.
His mom.

On Sunday, after the 48 Hour Film Project Film Festival, I had gone, in the pouring rain, to another event. The Bay Street Theatre was performing "Chicago", and that would be the only time I would be able to go for the next three weeks. So, rain or no, it was go or forget about it.
I went.
The dripping umbrella was placed with others in the box downstairs.
Then, upstairs I went for the sold-out show!
Much fun! Much gaiety!! And they even had a live orchestra!!!
After the show, and after congratulating cast members and musicians, I went downstairs to retrieve my umbrella before proceeding into the still-dripping night.
The box office was locked up tight.
Okay. I would just wait a few minutes. Someone would surely come.
Fifteen minutes passed.
Not good.
I had not had time for dinner before the show, so lunch had been my last meal. I'm borderline hypoglycemic, so I needed protein and I needed it soon. I would not be getting it there, as they eschewed the use of credit cards at their basement cafe.
Definitely not good.
Now, all I could think about was retrieving my umbrella and getting food.
Especially that first part.
No one came to unlock the office.
Back I went upstairs in search of those I knew.
None were in sight.
Back down the stairs I came.
Mark, JinHi's dear husband, had just arrived and asked what was wrong.
So I told him.
"I can't get food because they won't take plastic and I need to retrieve my umbrella and it's in the locked box office. I need to get my umbrella. It had belonged to my mom. I need to get it back."
I think I may have had a crazed, desperate look in my eyes, a desperate edge to my voice.
He immediately went into action on my behalf.
And he located my umbrella.
The soggy box had been moved upstairs, to make it easier for play attendees to retrieve them on their way out. The trouble was, the box was in a dark area and people were overlooking it.
As I had.
I grabbed my umbrella, gave him a hug and thanks, and fled down the stairs and into the night.
I was so relieved, I had almost burst into tears.

Yes, I completely understand Peter Quill's need to get his cassette player back from the guard.
Yes, I do.

Now, off I go to watch my boys of summer. Later, y'all!

1 comment:

faustina said...

Just to let you know, I finally freed that umbrella.
Of course, it took the breaking of three of its spines to force my hand.
I persisted in using it, even after that, until one day I realized:
the time had come to let it go.
I'm a bit surprised I didn't write about that.