Saturday, August 16, 2014

little copper messengers!


Tonight, as I was entering Savannah Smiles, a penny fell from the sky, right at my feet, and I immediately bent to pick it up.
"You are meant to be here."
That was its message.
The bouncer at the door looked sharply at me, to determine what I was doing with my quick motion.
"I always pick up pennies," I told him. "I regard them as messages from my mother."
He visibly relaxed and returned to watching the rest of the crowd.
I was there with friends I had not seen since about this time last year. Again, it would have been for Angela's birthday, as it was tonight.
That's too long to not see each other, but life intervenes, you know?
Danny has a partner now and lives down at the beach.
Shelley is leaving Tuesday, due to job changes much like those of the peace Guy. Where is she going? Atlanta, of course, just as he did.
Donna has a new man in her life and stays right busy with him.
And the birthday girl? Well, she has a little girl of her own, a little girl who is quite smart and quite busy with school, thank you very much! That will make for another birthday party later this month, granting me another opportunity to see these folks that I knew through Sam and his days as the Karaoke Jock at Steed's.

After a couple of hours there, watching the two piano players have all the singing fun, we were off to sing songs ourselves! Danny had suggested Chuck's, just down two wicked flights of stairs from the dueling pianos - and so we went!
The place filled up pretty quickly with our large group and the KJ was only too glad to have us down thre singing. Oh, yeah!
And guess what I found?
A glistening penny.
Right there on the dance floor, in front of the karaoke stand.
Sah-weet!
Angela and Shelley sang two - or was it three? - duets.
Danny and I sang "Picture", a Kid Rock song we once performed regularly at Steed's. That was fun! It was his suggestion, too, and the crowd really liked it!
Then I did "Flying High Again" and I think I may have confused some folks when I was singing about being "a bad, bad boy". Like, really? In a gay bar, I was going to confuse folks???
Now, that is a hoot!
But best was when all of us girls got up to Sir Mix-a-lot's one hit. We got big butts and we cannot lie!
Such a fun evening, shared with people dear to me!

Yes, I was definitely in the right places - twice.
Not a coincidence at all!

No comments: